Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Problem with ProjectMIx, ProTools M-Powered and computer

Hi,

I bought ProjectMix and ProTools M-Powered 7.1 about a week ago and have been trying to set it up for recording. Otherwise everything goes well, but I get a terrible loud rattling noise on top of the sound while recording.

Gain has been adjusted so that the meters stay at green area. I have tried with several instruments and microphone, different sample rates, 16 and 24 bits, different size buffers, but they have no effect at all. You hear the rattling, distorting sound while monitoring and while listening the recording.

An other problem is that when I record MIDI the computer does not keep up with the speed (some notes trop off when I play fast parts)

When I played demo material which came with the ProTools, it worked perfectly ok (both audio and MIDI). So, the problem only exists while recording.

My computer has following components
- ASUS P5B-E motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, iP965, S775 Dual core 2 2,13 GHz processors
- 2 G RAM
- 2 pcs Westwern Digital 250 GB Caviar RE2 hard drives
- GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB
- OS = XP Home
(Can you see any compatibility issues)

I have followed “getting started” instructions and also checked via BIOS that RAID and speed-stepping are disabled.

I also tried with an other ProjectMix with latest Firmware and drivers. The result was the same = “rattling noise”

With an M-audio USB interface the computer worked fine with an other program. The ProTools did not find the interface in spite of the latest driver.

Is there any compatibility issues or something wrong with the XP, BIOS or ProTools settings. Do you have any good ideas how to proceed the “investigation”. I am really looking forward to start recording with ProTools and ProjectMix.

Best regards
Olli

PS
When I tried to update my ProjectMix’s Firmware I got an error in the middle of the update. Since that the Update program does not find the ProjectMIx. When I put the Power on, the LCD display does not show any messages. Any ideas how to fix this?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Problem with ProjectMIx, ProTools M-Powered and computer

A friend of mine suggested that the problem could be caused by the motherboard's FireWire port.

Digidesign have qualified following FireWire HBA PCI cards:
- ADS Pyro PCI 64 (part number API-311)
- SIIG 1394 3-port PCI i/e (part number NN-440012)

Which one do you recommendend with ASUS P5B-E motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 S775 Dual core 2 2,13 GHz processors and XP home.
What is the righ slot to put it in; PCI-E x1 or PCI 2.2

BR
Olli