Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Re: "some bus paths were made inactive..."

If you look at your I/O setup, I guarantee you'll see the offending bus/input/output there.

The bug is that if a track has an input or output assigned to a non-existent (inactive) bus/in/out and you then delete the bus and assign the track to "no input/output" and close the session, the track will come back with the inactive assignment when you re-open. You have to assign the offending track to an *existing* input/output, close the session, then re-open the session; then you can assign the track to "no input/output" and delete the inactive buss/in/out and all will be well.

It's annoying, but once you figure it out it's an easy enough workaround. Certainly wish Avid would take care of it though.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-18-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I have no idea but will make sure they see this thread for Avid tech to do what they see fit,

We have got so used to that pop-up window so I have given up on any fix for it..
Thanks SouthSidemusic!
I know its a different topic, but the other day was recording a virtual synth in Pro Tools..

Once I had recorded, I went through the steps it takes to record the virtual track into an audio track.

And I though - this process could be so much simpler. Do you think Avid would do that? Instead of going through the cumbersome routine of making an audio track/assigining the busses of both tracks etc?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
If you look at your I/O setup, I guarantee you'll see the offending bus/input/output there.

The bug is that if a track has an input or output assigned to a non-existent (inactive) bus/in/out and you then delete the bus and assign the track to "no input/output" and close the session, the track will come back with the inactive assignment when you re-open. You have to assign the offending track to an *existing* input/output, close the session, then re-open the session; then you can assign the track to "no input/output" and delete the inactive buss/in/out and all will be well.

It's annoying, but once you figure it out it's an easy enough workaround. Certainly wish Avid would take care of it though.

best,
rich
+1
Always keep a clean copy of your IO settings handy.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post

best,
rich
Thanks Rich. Yes it is certainly odd that Avid aren't fixing this.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Do you think Avid would do that? Instead of going through the cumbersome routine of making an audio track/assigining the busses of both tracks etc?
Sounds like you are not aware of this, easily overlooked:
If you click the instrument tracks output, you can choose "New track...".
Then PT sets the output to a unused bus, creates a new audio track, and assigns its input to the same bus.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM

This started with Pro Tools 9 for me. It happens every time I open a session. Nothing I do in the I/O panel fixes it. I can reset all the I/O and create a new session and when I reopen it I will still get the message. Funny thing is it doesn't seem to affect anything at all.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Then PT sets the output to a unused bus, creates a new audio track, and assigns its input to the same bus.
Thanks Ben!!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

Hey Ben,

I couldn't make this work..

1. I recorded on an instrument track.
2. I created a new audio track
3. the audio track i have just created is not showing up as an option from the instrument output. My other tracks are though
Old 12-31-2014, 05:33 PM

I don't understand.
You want to send audio from a track to another, you set its output to a BUS and the other track's INPUT to that BUS. That was the point of my new-track tip.
It's just basic PT routing.

I was in the middle of answering the thank-you when you posted again:

Glad you liked the tip.

Also, you can do this to several tracks at once by selecting them and holding option-shift (mac), and it affects all the selected tracks. F.ex bussing all the drums to an aux.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 AM

I have the same issue. It's part of my startup routine to get rid of that dialog, every time. It strikes me as completely amateurish. Where's the QA?

It's amazing that they haven't put in a fix or workaround for this. At the very least, put in a UI option so that the warning is not displayed.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
This started with Pro Tools 9 for me. It happens every time I open a session. Nothing I do in the I/O panel fixes it. I can reset all the I/O and create a new session and when I reopen it I will still get the message. Funny thing is it doesn't seem to affect anything at all.