Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 03:39 PM

Default Microphone Suggestions? I currently have AKG214

So I'm a female recording very dynamic vocals for r&b/hiphop/pop sounding music. I'm very happy with my mic and I want to continue to use it, however I feel at times it clouds my vocals and makes them sound really warm. I use Pro Tools 11 & an Mbox 3. I just bought the Mbox 3 and am now just realizing how much of a difference preamps make. If I invest in a really nice pre, would it change the way my 214 sounds? Maybe I could buy preamp and then hook that up to the Mbox? I really don't want to get rid of it tho considering how I just bought it.

Second question, I'm thinking about buying another mic. Based on my budget, I'm considering Oktava 319 or the Audio Technica 4040. I love the crispiness of both mics. Having such a hard time deciding. :/ Any suggestions?

Thank you
Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Microphone Suggestions? I currently have AKG214

My 2 cents here Do you want a better mic, a better pre, or both? What's your budget? Will a preamp change the sound of the 214? Maybe, but you might get as much(or more) improvement by treating the acoustics in your space. Poor room sound will ruin ANY mic, so acoustics should be at the top of your list. I suggest this because the AKG 414(and 214 by association) are not known as "warm" mics. More like "clean, crisp or airy".

Having said this, I'm not really sure whether a new pre would be better than a new mic as most buy better preamps to get "character", which usually includes "warmth" that you get from certain preamps, like Neve(and clones) or a tube preamp like the UA 610. Now the API 312 is less "warm" and more "present and in your face". If you would consider moving into a "lunchbox" for your setup, there are some nice preamps that fit the "API" vein and the SC500 and X-12 from Five Fish Audio are really worth a look(and, both preamps can be bought as kits for installation in a neat 1 space rack case.

Back to mics(and why the budget question matters), I am VERY happy with my Miktek C7 and would put it up against a U87(which I would also recommend) for a third the cost. Miktek also makes the C1, which is essentially the same mic, but only cardioid. For me, the extra cost of the C7 is worth it as the OMNI and figure 8 patterns are very handy for me. I have a very good sounding vocal booth and actually record a lot of vocals using the figure 8 pattern as it adds a nice "bloom" to the sound(not sure you want that though).

One last thought, if you feel the 214 is too warm, AND you have properly controlled the acoustics in your space, simply putting more distance between singer and mic can(and will) reduce warmth(which is often caused by the "proximity" effect that almost all cardioid mics have). On that, figure 8 will have less of this, while OMNI will have none(usually)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
One last thought, if you feel the 214 is too warm, AND you have properly controlled the acoustics in your space, simply putting more distance between singer and mic can(and will) reduce warmth(which is often caused by the "proximity" effect that almost all cardioid mics have). On that, figure 8 will have less of this, while OMNI will have none(usually)
Albee touched on this, so I'm going to drive the point home. Mic technique has more impact on the sound than pretty much everything else. While a new different microphone and/or preamp will certainly give you a different sonic "footprint", so will changing the way you position the microphone and how you interact with it while singing.

Proximity effect changes with the mic distance, tonality and breath sounds will change with distance and height of the microphone, and using the microphone off-axis (not pointing directly at the source, in this case your voice) will change the tonality - and depending on the space you record in, the amount of room sound that will be picked up.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 PM

My favorite $300 mic is the AKG3000. Great on vocals and instruments. Very warm with a nice top end. I have owned this platinum version for about 7 years now, they may be making a cheaper model, darker in color and less expensive?