Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Default URS Classic Console Strip???

Hi,

I just picked up the URS Classic Console Strip from URS. I emailed them several times to try and find out what Gear (the Compressor and it's settings & the EQ and it's settings) they modeled the Classic Console Strip after? No one from URS has replied to my emails. Does anyone out there know the answer to these questions?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: URS Classic Console Strip???

I just bought that one too
REALLY good plug-in. Great quality for a low cost!

But, I'm affraid I don't actually have an answer to your question tho...

I don't think they want to give away their secret(s) wich is very understandable ofcourse.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't see why it should be a secret. McDSP makes some great stuff and they make it known on what models their software based on.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 PM

i got it, i like it...........
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 PM

I'm happy for you!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I just picked up the URS Classic Console Strip from URS. I emailed them several times to try and find out what Gear (the Compressor and it's settings & the EQ and it's settings) they modeled the Classic Console Strip after? No one from URS has replied to my emails. Does anyone out there know the answer to these questions?

Thanks
I read this review from a few different web sites:

A good example is URS' new Classic Console Strip ($249.99 native, $499.99 TDM), which features both an EQ section and a compressor in a channel strip configuration. The three-band EQ digitally recreates the EQ characteristics of three different analog consoles -- one for each band. Although URS doesn't reveal which consoles its EQ algorithms are based on, imagine being able to tweak a channel's high frequencies with an API, the midrange with an SSL and the low end with a Neve.

Hope this helps...

GregJ
Old 09-15-2006, 02:59 AM

HI,

Quote:
imagine being able to tweak a channel's high frequencies with an API, the midrange with an SSL and the low end with a Neve.
with this in mind and that I don´t want to offend anyone, I believe that the constant question
about vintage model emulation in plug-ins is a) only hype b) ignorance about the potential
of plug-ins, like the possibilities stated in the quote above.

If you WANT that vintage sound, even today there´s nothing like the hardware.
If you want ´cheap plug-ins´ (even WAVES SSL) to do that for you you already admit
that you missed the point.

For plug-ins the only question is: DOES IT SOUND GOOD?

And I came across software that does and some that doesn´t.
And some earned my trust and some did not.

IF a plug sound something in the direction of something already known fine.
The Vintage Names in advertizing, like e.g. McDSP explicitly states and most others
do not, are only there to give you an idea of the direction it MAY sound like.

The ONYL reason for buying software is that it´s sound appeals to you
and NOT that it is a CLASSIC emulation, this is the wrong way.

And how many of you DO REALLY know how a SSL API or NEVE sounds.
A small minority I guess, so why bother, when you will gain nothing by it.

ok, SORRY for giving vent to some stale air and I didn´t mean to start the
Hardware vs Software discussion, AGAIN but I had to write this.

thanks and best to all,
m.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:13 AM

^^ the big cloud on everyones parade
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM

To Bassturbator & GregJ,

Thanks for the help!!!

I finally received an email from Bobby Nathan over at URS and to answer my question he merely copied the info listed at his website for the Classic Console Strip as his answer. And being a paying customer (250.00), I have a right to know what exactly I'm paying for. Of course it also matters whether the Plug-In as good or not! I would have more respect for someone if they just told me that they can't give out that information because of legal reasons, afraid someone will steal their secret recipe or just plain paranoid. And of course it's my fault for not looking into it before I purchased the software. But in my dealings with URS in the past it's always a pain in the ass to get someone to reply to your emails over there. Again it's my fault for purchasing more software from a company that does not know how to treat a paying customer! GregJ, I saw the review that you copied, I read that as well before buying the Strip but again the writer is assuming what models they think the EQ Section is based upon. So, I figured I would post these simple questions here and see if anyone knew. I had no idea it would be such a problem and end up in a Hardware VS. Software Debate.

Which leads to the idiot mindnoise,

My friend, you have some pair of balls coming into my post and hijacking it!!!
I have been a Professional Vocalist for over 25 years. I have worked in so many Studios and been recorded through every Console, piece of Ext Hardware, etc.. you could imagine. So yes, I do know what all these consoles, gear. etc... sound like, how they work, what they look like and everything else. Do I expect "cheap plug-ins" (to quote you) to sound like a 250.000 dollar (used) SSL, are you insane? Let me remind you that this is a Pro Tools LE Forum. Most of us, like myself have a small home studio with a DiGI 002 or something similar. How in the F...K could you possibly get a sound comparitable to an SSL, API, NEVE or anything else of that caliber? Nor do we have the money to go out and buy thousands of dollars worth of vintage gear. Yes it's important if a plug-in sounds good or not but to me (the guys who's spending the money), I like to know what the plug-in is modeled after. I have a [bleep] load of plug-ins and if I'm looking for a certain type of sound, I can go to the plug-in that is going to best suit this certain type of sound that I'm looking for. Knowing full and well that my SSL plug-in is not going to sound no where near the real thing but will get me maybe some what close. And hey, it's a friggin home studio!!! And it's my money, so if I would like to know what the software is modeled after that's my business not yours! I take offense to your comments that assume that you know more than me. Who the F...K are you any way??? Every time I post a simple question I get some idiot like you with some higher than thou BULLS...T insult that has nothing to do with my Topic. I went to your weblink and it seems that you have your own problems!!! Why don't you concentrate on your own life and stay out of other people's business!!

Manners and repect for one another are dead!
I was brought up with the simple rule, that if you ain't got nothing good to say then don't say anything at all!!!

Anyway, I know I'll be attacked for all the things I just said. But hey, who gives a flying F...K!!!
It's a shame that you can't ask a simple question without getting your assh... ripped!!! And flippin your lid!!!

Again,
Thanks to all who answered my Topic in a cohesive manner and no disrespect was meant for you
Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
in my dealings with URS in the past it's always a pain in the ass to get someone to reply to your emails over there
Strange; my experience with URS is totally great. They respond quickly and with good information. Maybe the response correlates with the manner in with the email is sent to URS? Who knows.