Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Default Pro Tools M-Powered 7 & Fast Track USB

Yes, more compatibility problems.

"Unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on."

I've installed PT M-Powered 7 on a G4 Powerbook 17", 1.67 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, running OS 10.5.8. Then, updated to M-Powered 7.1 with a downloaded update named ptmp71.dmg.

I have a Fast Track USB cabled up, and the latest driver named FastTrack_OSX_1_8_1.dmg installed. This device appears in System Profiler\USB and in System Preferences\Other. (Interestingly enough, the Fast Track interface works fine with Logic Pro and Ableton Live.)

I've tried restarting several times and also the Fast Track is cabled up BEFORE I attempt to launch PT 7.1. I get the error message again and again.

Yes, the iLok is inserted in the USB port and the yellow LED appears.

I understood this version of M-Powered will work on a PPC with my Fast Track. What am I doing wrong?

I noticed in System Preferences\Other that I have two icons for Digidesign Mbox 2, one indicating Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro. Shall I delete one of these? Is this causing a conflict?

Or, is this error message due to an incompatible OS? Do I have to drop back to 10.4 Tiger?

I've tried installing this same software and drivers on my G5, dual 2.8 Ghz, 4 MB ram running OSX 10.5.8 - Protools won't even launch without crashing, so I never get to the above-mentioned error message.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered 7 & Fast Track USB

I noticed this happening recently too and turning the M-Audio FastTrack Pro on and off usually solves this. But before you do this try the following:

I believe the issue has to do with the hardware name being changed and therefore not recognized. Check your Preferences -> Sound -> Output field.

Sometimes it's listed as FastTrack Pro and sometimes as M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB.

PT M-Powered only works for me when the audio device is M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB.

You can also try trashing all the prefs as described in Digidesign's knowledgebase or try making a new admin account and log out then log in and use PT in that new account.