Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Editing mistake

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place. Please redirect me if need be.

I mistakenly assumed that grouped tracks would stay grouped if some were hidden. I hid most of my drum tracks that were grouped, then pocketed using only a few tracks. Now my drums are a disaster, half pocketed, half untouched. Is there any way to take the cuts/fades from one track and apply them similarly to another?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Editing mistake

if they were recorded the time same length you can apply to the unedited tracks "Expand channels to new tracks by time code only". You do it by right clicking on the track name. I hope this will solve your problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

paz2c-
in my knowledge I don't know a way. You could however try using beat detective to line up your remaining tracks. If by any chance the tracks not used are "room" recordings, you could open up a decent reverb plug in, find a nice room sound and go. I often do this with drums, in fact sometimes even throw out the room recording in favor of a good sounding room verb. Altiverb is my choice for this using the "Altair Studios" IR... I believe you can download a free 15 day demo. Don't be mad at me when the 15 days are up and you have to buy it cause you love it so much.

Good luck, and you won't make that mistake again!!! Sucks dude sorry.

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Also,
if you have session backups enabled, and you upped the amount to 30 or 40, you may find that you can step backwards enough to where the mistake was made. You would have to pocket the drums again, but it would happen easier since you already did it once.

You obviously understand the grouping aspect of this. I will reinforce that you need to have an edit group assigned to your drums, so that the edits are carried throughout. Grouping the files using the right click function will not help you here, as once you make the first edit, the group is functionally disabled and you will get the broken group symbol on the regions.

A few more tips.

command + G will disable all groups. Pres again to enable. Also, groups have to be highlighted in the group window to be active - regardless of the enable / disable.

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Can anyone tell me more about the "Expand channels to new tracks by time code only" option? I may have access to PT HD, and this would save me a huge amount of time. Would it work? I don't have DV Toolkit 2, though I do have Logic Pro 8, not sure if that opens any possibilities.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 AM

I tested it with 4 tracks that was recorded on the same time. I edited one of them and then expended the others by time code. They were edited the same way I edit the track.
I dont know how it will behave on tracks that was recorded separately.