How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM

Default HELP! Can't open a 5.1 session in 10.0.0

Hey :)

So my band Mordred have some old sessions on 5.1 that I'd like to open and add some guitar too, we're going on tour this summer and we'd love to have some things to offer, it's been a long time since we've toured. I finally got the 5.1 session to open by adding .pts to the session file but the files won't connect from the audio files folder, even when I manually try and relink them. I've tried a few things: opening the 5.1 session directly, making a new 10 session and importing data, even trying to add .sd2 to the audio files...nothing works.

The error I get is: The following files contain illegal characters in their file names. They have been copied, renamed and placed in the "Renamed Audio Files" folder:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gtr/jim/57.01_01$$
jim/57 dbl_07$$
jim/421/dbl_07$$
gtr/jim/421.01_01
gtr/jim/57_01
gtr/jim/421.01_02$$
gtr/jim/421_01

I even tried renaming the audio files by taking out the illegal $ and / characters.

I'm stumped. ANy ideas? Oh and I also tried converting the sd2 files in soundhack and all i got was loud white noise. Just frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Danny
Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 AM

Default Re: HELP! Can't open a 5.1 session in 10.0.0

Hi Danny and Welcome to the Community

I saw this section regarding SD2 files on the Avid website :

Not Supported: SD2 audio files and Pro Tools 4.x sessions and lower
​Pro Tools 10.3.6 or higher automatically converts SD2 audio files to compatible audio files.

You might need to update PT10 to 10.3.6 or higher. The latest update (free in your Avid account) is 10.3.8 so maybe you have go go that route if no one else have an answer regarding this

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-27-2014, 03:05 AM

try making a new session and using Import Session Data of the old session

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 AM

What setup was used on the original recording, and what setup are you using now? If you are on a windows machine now, and the original was done on a Mac, and done in SD II format, that creates a wall that's tough to climb over. Rail Jon Rogut made a handy utility program for converting SD II to wave(a google search might turn that up for you) and that could save the day(regardless of platform). Another solution would be to find someone with an older rig(and believe me, they are out there) that can open and convert the sessions.

Another stumbling block is Mac/PC compatibility. Too many folks never bothered to check that box when they created sessions back then, and PT didn't help until version 7, when it was made automatic. If you can open the sessions on an older Mac setup, you can save session copies, enforce compatibility, AND convert to wave(or AIFF) in one step

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave