Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2001, 11:23 AM

Default Using Dual-Monitor System with Digi001

I have a P3-1Ghz-512MB system with on-board video on Intel Motherboard.
I personally hate using one single screen to manage all the different Protools windows. So I am considering getting the Matrox Dual-head Video card which allows dual monitor system with capability of even using TV screen for secondary monitor.
1) Is there any known incompatibility issues (driver wise) with Digi001 ?
2) Are ther any other recommanded dual mode video card brand names ?

------------------
Rock Da Sound!
Old 04-20-2001, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Using Dual-Monitor System with Digi001

I have the millenium g400 matrox dual head card and like the two monitor set up, but I too have shut down and start up problems, it restarts sometimes during start up. I run my digi 001 on my mac so don't have any info there. I don't have the latest driver, will try. Good card, but not perfect, for me anyway.

------------------
http://www.achadwick.com [email protected]
Old 04-20-2001, 02:51 PM

I've just bought the Digi001 for my P111/1000 with an existing Matrox G400 and was getting the shut down bug/blue screen. I then installed new drivers but I'm still getting the proglem. This is a real worry and I'm disappointed as I real love using the dual screens.

Has anyone got any ideas?????????

Back again

The other problem that I'm concerned about (after reading other threads) is that when using two screens do the windows as in the edit window and mix window separate to each screen. Or do you have to have the view over the two screens. On the Mac I can have the mixer on one screen and edit on the other within their own window. I hope you can get my meaning on this.
Sorry about all the edits but this problem with my AGP and displays really concerns me. My computer is still at the store getting sorted, if the above is going to be a continuing issue I may seek another platform. Gee I hope not, I really like Digi001 as I've got one on my Mac and just don't have any of these video problems.

Nick

[This message has been edited by AEW (edited April 20, 2001).]

Old 04-21-2001, 12:26 AM

I JUST bought the Digi001 (last night)!
Installed it on a 1Ghz P3 (WinME) with the Matrox Dual-Head. Everything works FINE! except there is a bug on shutdown being caused by a very dated included video driver. I downloaded the newest driver and will try it tonight. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)
CharlieX
Old 04-21-2001, 03:21 AM

I was able to get everything working correctly with a PIII 1 GHz, Asus CUSL2-C, with 512MB RAM and the Matrox G450 Dual Head video card. I don't use it anymore cause I bought a G4 and a MixPlus system but I know it will work. You can get the mix and edit windows on separate monitors its just a major pain in the butt. You have to resize Pro Tools and the mix and edit window every time you open a session. Sometimes its not so bad cause you may work on the same session for a couple hours at a time.

Jason
Old 04-21-2001, 09:57 PM

here are two better solutions for your dual head video card problem:
1.ati radeon ve 32mbddr
2. leadtek geforce 2 dh 32mb
both have 256 bit chips
i have no. 2 works great (actually amazing; have 2 19' vga monitors running both at 1024x768 at 85 hz and 32bit)run protools and logic.
matrox was great 2 years when there was nothing else. by the way they both also throughout to tv's.
ati retails for about $100,geforce2 for $140.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:41 AM

Hi

If you have the ASUS CUSL2 motherboard you might get problems with the Matrox G450 dualhead. I had severe problems with glitches, pops and crackles when i moved the mouse to the second screen...and by just moving the mouse around then the dreaded -9094 error appeared. I searched the Matrox site faq and found that this seems to only happen with the CUSL2 board. (absolutly no irq conflicts in my machine)Altough i have seen users on this list with the cusl2 MoBo and Matrox card that get their system working great.....

After a lot of tries i finnaly returned the Matrox g450 card and was going to buy the ATI Radeon VE, but unfortunatly they where sold out:-(... so i got a recomendation to try the SIS 301 card instead.And it works great!!!!

i dont know where to find them in the US , but here in sweden you can find them at www.twandata.com

The only small drawback with the sis301 is that the second screen seems to be a little more sharp in colours, but that may be because i have 2 different models of my 17" monitors and it is hardly noticeable.

Regards// Robert
Old 04-24-2001, 04:43 PM

I'm running the ATI Radeon dual on an Asus A7V133 AMD rig with excellent results as long as I only install the drivers and not all the other stuff that installs by default.

Jim Williams
Old 04-25-2001, 02:13 AM

Got the Matrox G400 to work finally without any problems.
I had to re-format the C drive and reinstall Win98 SE, install the latest drivers from Matrox. It all works fine now.

Nick
Old 04-27-2001, 12:50 AM

Everything was working fine and then I installed a basic installation of Norton Utilities (definately without Crash Guard).Then got the blue screen showing a video error on shut-down after loading Pt Le (shut-down on other apps were fine just Pt). Removed Nortons and all works fine......strange!!!!!!!!

Nick