Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Problems with CPU usage

Im running a Dell XPS dual core processor with 8Gigs of RAM on a 500 (7200 rpm) HD. I'm saving all of my audio on two separate 300 and 200 gig HDs. When running Pro Tools 10 (faculty version) my CPU usage seems to climb ridiculously high when I'm not even doing anything. Sometimes it will drop back down when I push play, sometimes I have to restart Pro Tools! I'm also using a Tascam 1800 interface. I've successfully recorded and mixed a project with a great deal of plugins, but it seems like running 8 gigs of RAM, my usage shouldn't be climbing high as fast as it is. One plugin (a simple compression) caused it to jump to 15% and it climbs up from there!

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, if I can allocate more of my 8gigs to Pro Tools (I've already been through the whole Playback Engine, H/W buffer, DAE, drill...)

Thanks in advance. I'm not as computer savvy as I may sound, but I can read! Lol!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Problems with CPU usage

I suppose a "simple" compressor can make CPU usage go up 15% but most don't. Much of your description sounds like the denormalization error (do a google search). Usually this is due to a mis-guided plugin. The usual suspect is SansAmp, but could be others. The workaround is to insert a dither plugin above it.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Pro tools is a 32bit application & can only allocate 3.5 Gbs of ram any way & im not sure but even after that pro tools will only use 2.5gbs or something of it. Its also a Tascam US-1800 & your faculty version is the same as everyone elses version only difference is price. Try watching avid's youtube channel videos on optimising your system for pro tools. This will help to give you a bit more of a stable system.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 PM

I googled "denormalization", but to be honest, the explanations were a little above my level of comprehension. Lol. Is there a simple fix or steps I can take to remedy this issue? I know you said insert a dither plugin above it, but I'm going to have to get a friend of mine to explain that to me, if he can.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Nevermind. I reread the explanation and it made a little more sense. I'll see of I an get a friend to help me remedy the issue. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 AM

This might be a very small portion of your problem, and to most people it's a no-brainer, but just make sure you've got all of your verbs and delays on an aux track and not inserted right on the channel. It's not the most as far as DSP goes, but if you've got a lot of tracks it can add up. Also, I don't know how this could be applicable with your CPU since you have a dual-core, but I have a quad-core and I just recently realized that I was running on all four processors at like 85% max and I was getting a lot of CPU problems until I switched to using only 3 processors at 90%/95%. If it's possible/not done already you might want to try using only one processor for pro tools rather than both. That also might not work/be possible, i'm not sure at all, but it's something to try out I suppose. Hopefully this helped a little.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Thank you very much! I'm trying all of your advice! Lol.