Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Default Sweetwater a good place to buy plugins

I know many of us get plugins and VI's through websites like Audio Deluxe, and I often do too. Another alternative to consider, though, is Sweetwater, which as many of you know is one of the largest musical gear distributors in the world. I recently purchased a plugin through them. Within minutes of my purchase the sales rep called me, thanked me, and then reminded me that whenever you purchase through them, you also have access to their tech support on anything you buy. Having needed that in the past from them, I can tell you they are very helpful.

Also, they will match any price on virtually any item. So if you see a plug you want at, say, AD, and its a bit more at Sweetwater, contact them, and most likely they'll match it. Which gives you the same price as well as the tech support. Also, for those on a budget, you can often purchase an item with 0% financing up to 24 months. Or, you can make 3 easy monthly payments if you need to break up the payments.

No, I'm not affiliated with Sweetwater in any way, shape or form, and no one asked me to post this. I just wanted to pass it along as a suggested alternative place to get your gear the next time you have an attack of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Old 02-02-2019, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Sweetwater a good place to buy plugins

I like Sweetwater, I wish they had a warehouse here in Canada.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I like Sweetwater, I wish they had a warehouse here in Canada.

Yes, for hardware, that's an issue. But for software, its only a download!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 AM

Funny, the last thing I want when placing an order online is for the company to CALL me afterwards. Years ago, I ordered a book on Kontakt from Sweetwater. Minutes later I get a call. The guy starts asking me all kinds of questions, what do I do, what are my interests...

I just stop him cold. Listen, I just ordered a book. I don't need a 'sales rep'. I know what I need, when I need it etc.

I found this the OPPOSITE of good customer service. I finally stopped the guy, asked him to cancel my order, and have never, and would never give them my business again...

I saw a great comic once, wish I could still find it. A man walks into a restroom, HUGE line of empty urinals, and goes all the way to the end. Another man walks in, walks all the way down past many open ones, to choose the one right next to the other man, starts his business and then says 'Hi, I'd Ed from Sweetwater'. :)

Can't stand their business mode. There are so many other places like American Musical Supply, or Musician's Friend, that always seem to me to have the same prices as Sweetwater, and don't harass their buyers in this way.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Funny, the last thing I want when placing an order online is for the company to CALL me afterwards.
Exactly. It's an upsell call. As bad as a used car salesman. The large point of buying online is not dealing with these tactics. I shouldn't have to tell them "send me the product and don't call again."

As for price, Sweetwater haven't been able to compete once with local pro audio dealers. Not just online but on a phone call from their sales hustlers.
Anyway, what kind of "tech call" could you have about a plugin anyway? If you have any questions, you ask the plugin developer. Also, why would anyone reward the company that needs to do a "price match" verses the company that is up front with the lower price? It's rewarding bad business practices for consumers. They'd have to offer for less (like Westlake Pro with their price competitiveness.)

Quote:
There are so many other places like American Musical Supply, or Musician's Friend, that always seem to me to have the same prices as Sweetwater, and don't harass their buyers in this way.
FYI, Musician's Friend is Guitar Center. GC bought them years ago and service from the same stock.

For now, Audio Deluxe is the best on plugins with Plugin Discounts a runner up (especially on brands they might carry that AD doesn't.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Funny, the last thing I want when placing an order online is for the company to CALL me afterwards. Years ago, I ordered a book on Kontakt from Sweetwater. Minutes later I get a call. The guy starts asking me all kinds of questions, what do I do, what are my interests...

I just stop him cold. Listen, I just ordered a book. I don't need a 'sales rep'. I know what I need, when I need it etc.

I found this the OPPOSITE of good customer service. I finally stopped the guy, asked him to cancel my order, and have never, and would never give them my business again...

I saw a great comic once, wish I could still find it. A man walks into a restroom, HUGE line of empty urinals, and goes all the way to the end. Another man walks in, walks all the way down past many open ones, to choose the one right next to the other man, starts his business and then says 'Hi, I'd Ed from Sweetwater'. :)

Can't stand their business mode. There are so many other places like American Musical Supply, or Musician's Friend, that always seem to me to have the same prices as Sweetwater, and don't harass their buyers in this way.

I've dealt with the same guy every time. Not once has he tried to "upsell" me anything. Begging to differ, but I think what Sweetwater is doing is just good customer service. They add a personal touch you don't often get in this day of online buying. I like the fact that he called me to make sure I was able to download the product, and see what questions I might have. It made me feel like I was a customer, not just a consumer!

Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I've dealt with the same guy every time. Not once has he tried to "upsell" me anything. Begging to differ, but I think what Sweetwater is doing is just good customer service. They add a personal touch you don't often get in this day of online buying. I like the fact that he called me to make sure I was able to download the product, and see what questions I might have. It made me feel like I was a customer, not just a consumer!
Agree!

Thank you for posting some possitive vibes and I agree with your thoughts 100% Donald

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-02-2019, 12:39 PM

To each his own. I have no problems figuring out how to download a plugin, so the fact that he is calling you has NOTHING to do with customer service in my book, but definitely to upsell. In my case, the guy pretty much said directly to me 'What else can we sell you today'.

Um, nothing. And another ever ever again in the future.

But hey, if you like them and feel you got what you want, good for you!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 AM

I've had similar experiences with Sweetwater in the past. They would call constantly, try to up-sell, etc... BUT, that was years ago.

They haven't been like that in a long, long time - in my experience anyway.

The current dude I deal with is great. No calls, no up-selling, just finding the gear I want and giving me custom prices combined with amazing financing options. Highly recommend 👍

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 PM

As much as I like Audio Deluxe, I like dontcrack.com's private deals zone as sometimes, they beat everybody's best price. Plus, at the moment, they are not charging state sales taxes(which could change in the future) So, a Waves sale-priced plugin at $29 ends up being around $24(and no tax) from dontcrack. They are not ALWAYS the lowest, but they are always worth a look

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave