Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 AM

Default I went back to Pro Tools 10 HD Accel in 2017

I mix music for a living. Mostly live genres like rock, metal, sometimes jazz, etc.

When Pro Tools 10 HD was first released I sold my Accel system and I bought HD Native. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Waves made it clear they wouldn't make AAX DSP plugins so HDX didn't seem like the way to go. It was ok most of the time. I was never too excited by the lack of offline bounce so I didn't care for Pro Tools 11. I moved to 12 because of some I/O Setup enhancements and commit feature which I used quite often for a few months.

But 5 years after ditching HD TDM platform it stroke me that my workflow didn't change much, new features didn't bring considerable improvements to my work.

In all honesty Pro Tools 7.4 has already had almost all features I needed. So I reverted back to a Mac Pro 1,1 with Magma Expansion and HD Accel PCI system. I mixed and album on it and it was fine, so I decided to install 10 HD on this rig and I have been using it already for almost 5 months, having mixed around 5 albums - 60 or 70 songs.

So here I am with Pro Tools 10 HD6 Accel with a Mac Pro 1,1 and OSX Lion.

Lower latencies, Waves TDM plugins and predictable DSP power which actually helps a lot when I use Pro Tools and some other applications at the same time, mean much more to me than the most powerful native system with 12.x software.

I've never been happier with a Pro Tools rig.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Re: I went back to Pro Tools 10 HD Accel in 2017

Still on TDM to its old tech but still capable and stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Building a HD rig as we speak.
2009 Mac Pro 4.1->5.1
I have HD 8 now, looking to move to 10 also.

Thanks to Barry Johns for all his help on this!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM

I also have a couple of PT8 rigs
Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 AM

PT10HD accel 3 rig still in use here ... primarily for tracking / mixing, what it does very well

All midi work done in Logic X or in Digital Performer - both are superior in that compared to PT (feature set, performance)

I own PT12, but if I use it (f.e. for offline bouncing, committing etc) there are too many (well known) errors. I didn´t renew the update plan at the end of last year and now I´m very happy about my decision if I see what avid has given its users in the first 6 months of this year - a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM

I owned HD 11 since it came out, but only just moved away from my PTHD10/HD3 4 -6 months ago to HD Native and PTHD11. I got a great deal of Alto Music for a brand new HDN Pcie card for $599, so after selling my TDM Cards for 1k, I came out ahead on that deal.

So far, I've yet to see or experience anything that I would call an improvement. I miss having Heat though. I've yet to run into any issues with tracking and latency, but I've been doing way more mixing than tracking since I made the change. I am a mix as I go type guy, so I need "REQUIRE" the ability to track at any stage "through plugins", and so far the handful of times I've needed to add something late in the game, or do an overdub, its been fine as far as my ears can tell. Of course I have to make anything on my mix buss inactive, but that's a no biggie. I do use quite a bit of Hardware via Inserts, and haven't noticed any issues with latency/timing yet.

So, I've not experienced any benefits of HDN over TDM or feel like I'm missing anything from my TDM rig, so what is there to be learned from that?

If I was starting from scratch, I'd go TDM, no question about it. Ive lucked into some instantly cheap deals on some things, like the price I paid for the HDN card, as well has buying/building a 12 core Mac Pro for less than $800, less than 2k for a mint 24 Channel D-Command......Prior to that was a Pro Control which dictated TDM for me as it could not be used beyond HD10 as well all know.

HD Native requires a super fast computer to do any serious work even with PTHD12, which I happen to have. If I were to eventually move to PTHD 12, which is not likely, there is no freaking way I would ever want to consider using freeze or anything like that, the idea of relying that after all these years makes my hair stand on the back of my neck. If I my rig required me to do that, I'd go right back to TDM in a heartbeat.

If a person uses VI's especially heavy usage, then forget TDM, move on, its not for you due to the 32 bit RAM limitations.

I still following the prices of used TDM Cards, I follow every single sale on eBay, to this day, I guess part of me, wants to stay current so that if I want to make the move back, I am current on what it will cost.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM

PT 8.1.1 here on a HD4 Win 7 system. No VIs, just multiple other PCs with RME 9652 cards in them. Now I need a couple more 192 Digital interfaces.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM

I have a client who has the exact system you mentioned (HD Accel/PT 10x/192 16 Analog Input). He has been experiencing a static/crackling on the inputs 1-8 and 9-16. No issues with the output signal. I did troubleshooting visits, eliminating all of the cabling/outboard variables, zeroing in on the Accel card and the 192. Proceeding further, I have taken the cards out of the computer, cleaned (with Cranolin), and re-seated them. Also, opened up the 192 and after inspecting the cards for any visible apparent burn out failures, cleaned and re-seated the ribbon cables to all input and output cards Checked the physical connector cables, etc. The problem still persists. (did not go into the power supply area of the unit)

Since this "legacy" thread exists, I am reaching out to find solutions to this problem from people who still own and use this equipment.

A: Do you know of a trustworthy, inexpensive repair person that I could suggest? I found Mitch Berger in CA, but he is on the East Coast (additional shipping costs).

B: Should he be shopping around for another 192 0n Ebay at this point? Very unpredictable in my opinion, but please let me know your thoughts.

C: Could it still be the Accel PCIe card? I would think the inputs and outputs would be equally compromised if it was the card, but please let me know if this thinking is wrong.

So please let me know your expert thoughts on this dilemma.

Thanks
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Still using P Tools HD 10 with 6 cards in a Magma chassis. Working on tons of records and it works just fine. I have an HDX system as well but it never gets any use as the plugin situation is still pretty dismal. As far as working on music goes, at least for me, TDM is still the way to go. I'm just not interested in jumping through any hoops to be able to use the workflow that I have always used. My two cents.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Still using P Tools HD 10 with 6 cards in a Magma chassis. Working on tons of records and it works just fine. I have an HDX system as well but it never gets any use as the plugin situation is still pretty dismal. As far as working on music goes, at least for me, TDM is still the way to go. I'm just not interested in jumping through any hoops to be able to use the workflow that I have always used. My two cents.
yes !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ