Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Expand the number of "recent" files?

Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option? If not, could this ability be added in future upgrades? Would be a huge time saver. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Expand the number of "recent" files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouibjamn View Post
Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option?
Not that I'm aware of.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 07-25-2020, 10:38 PM

On a Mac, you can change that in System Preferences->General I think.

Jesper
Old 07-26-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesele View Post
On a Mac, you can change that in System Preferences->General I think.

Jesper
Just tested and that doesn't work inside a program like PT. It only lists what different programs and files and servers you've opened and has a max of 10. I don't know what the limit is for PT itself.

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouibjamn View Post
Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option? If not, could this ability be added in future upgrades? Would be a huge time saver. Thanks!
I don't think you can change it either, but there is a cute trick you can use. You can click File / Open Project, which is populated by the online projects that no-one uses, so is typically blank. If you then click the Recent tab, suddenly you are presented with the full very long list of recent projects. It's two more clicks, but still often quicker than manually trawling through your folder hierarchy.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I don't think you can change it either, but there is a cute trick you can use. You can click File / Open Project, which is populated by the online projects that no-one uses, so is typically blank. If you then click the Recent tab, suddenly you are presented with the full very long list of recent projects. It's two more clicks, but still often quicker than manually trawling through your folder hierarchy.
That's GOOD! Nice one!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Just tested and that doesn't work inside a program like PT. It only lists what different programs and files and servers you've opened and has a max of 10. I don't know what the limit is for PT itself.
Are you sure? It works in all Apple programs at least. You will not see the result until you open some more files. Haven't tried in Pro Tools though.

Jesper
Old 07-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesele View Post
Are you sure? It works in all Apple programs at least. You will not see the result until you open some more files. Haven't tried in Pro Tools though.

Jesper
I don't use Apple programs except for Mail. It does NOT work in PT - tried it already. Also doesn't work in Digital Performer or VEPro 7.

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:16 PM

Right. Pro Tools (and many other apps) clearly do not obey this systems preference. Logic Pro and Garageband do... not surprising as they are from Apple.

I'm not aware of any Apple interface guideline that apps should follow the systems preference, this setting was really introduced for the Finder>Apple>Recent Items. Some folks (including me) think it's maybe a bit silly to have a global preference... or at least one that cannot be overridden with a per-app preference, if I want 50 recently opened files in one special app I probably don't want to see 50 of them in every file menu in every app. And it might be better to just set this in Pro Tools Preferences so it's in one consistent place across Mac and Windows.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Right. Pro Tools (and many other apps) clearly do not obey this systems preference. Logic Pro and Garageband do... not surprising as they are from Apple.

I'm not aware of any Apple interface guideline that apps should follow the systems preference, this setting was really introduced for the Finder>Apple>Recent Items. Some folks (including me) think it's maybe a bit silly to have a global preference... or at least one that cannot be overridden with a per-app preference, if I want 50 recently opened files in one special app I probably don't want to see 50 of them in every file menu in every app. And it might be better to just set this in Pro Tools Preferences so it's in one consistent place across Mac and Windows.
Speaking of consistency - how about consistency in how the list is presented? In OSX the items are alphabetized. In applications like PT, they're in chronological order as near as I can figure out.

QAPLA!