Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 02:41 AM

Default Recording into SSD?

Hi ,
Normally we record 100 tracks at a time into a hard drive, now we have the option to record into a SSD.
Performance wise SSD is better, but I heard that SSD only have a limited time of writing/reading, if you reach that time, that Data would be gone/corrupt, so is it really safe to record into SSD instead of hard drive?

Thank you
Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Recording into SSD?

At least with this MBP of mine it is safe to record to the wicked fast system SSD. Haven't had sessions anywhere else since 2013
Old 04-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Hi ,
Normally we record 100 tracks at a time into a hard drive, now we have the option to record into a SSD.
Performance wise SSD is better, but I heard that SSD only have a limited time of writing/reading, if you reach that time, that Data would be gone/corrupt, so is it really safe to record into SSD instead of hard drive?

Thank you
SSD technology has really developed since the early days, and modern SSD's have at least as long a life-span as any spinner, or maybe more.

It's safe, and fast. That said, just make sure trim is enabled, and over-provisioning is in place. Other than that, be sure to have backups on a spinner, because an SSD that goes south will likely take your data along with it. I only use the SSD to work on current sessions, and archive everything onto spinners. Unlike spinners, an SSD on its way out will probably not give you any warning signs. Happy SSD recording!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 AM

With disk caching, I'm not sure it makes much difference other than understanding the limitations posted above.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Recording into SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Hi ,

Thank you

Good SSDs are likely overall more reliable than the HDDs you have been recording to. NAND cell wear is just not an issue, it's all hidden from you by the controller.

And if the drives are portable or in desktop enclosures that get moved around occasionally then SSD is likely much more reliable than HDD.

But all this device reliability is really about convenience. Your recordings are not reliably saved until they are on multiple different media in multiple different locations.

The thing that (today's consumer/prosumer) SSDs are not great at is long term archival storage. High quality HDD are great for that (and so is HDD in the cloud/online, and optical disc and digital tape (like LTO storage for large facilities) still have places in this puzzle).

It is not safe to just say "SSD", there are different SSD NAND storage devices that span orders of magnitude in performance and expected life. You should be describing your computer and needs and asking what SSD to purchase.

The blazing fast speed of modern PCIe based SSD like in the MacBook Pro mentioned above mean you can typically mix samples and audio sessions on the SSD boot drive. Even with disk cache disabled, with disk cache enabled you still benefit with faster startup times and can still get overall more reliable operation (fewer hitting disk IO problems). If you have the option look at these PCIe (and ideally NVMe) SSD drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Good SSDs are likely overall more reliable than the HDDs you have been recording to.
Yep. But as always, nothing is backed up until it's backed up twice...
Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yep. But as always, nothing is backed up until it's backed up twice...
If it doesn't exist in 3 places, its not backed up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Now we have said that more than three times it must be true

Old 06-07-2018, 06:48 PM

cool
Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If it doesn't exist in 3 places, its not backed up

Exactly!

I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!