Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by digiengineer:
Here is another compromise, would anybody disagree to using a Tascam DA-45HR with dB converters as the 2 mix deck? It's DAT, it's 24-bit, and it has been accepted as a mastering format at Bernie Grundman's.

Just a suggestion... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, this is where we've landed:

mixdown to 2nd RADAR.

Thanks anyway.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andrej770:
[QB]I am so tired of this damn thread...This "my dad's job is better than your daddy's job" banter and back-and-forth is really getting old...

Again, if you are bothered, just don't drop by. We are making progress although it's hard to see with all the off topic stuff that goes on here. The input from readers has helped me think this through and come up with other ideas--so thank you to them. I don't have admin controls to edit and delete as I've said before, so my only ability to clean things up is to start a new thread when things get too ridiculous. That's just the way it is. If you think you're tired of reading, you can only imagine how much I'm ready to stop writing and do the test.

And if YOU'RE tired of reading, do you really think others want to read about how tired you are of reading? Just a thought.

The "are we there yet" comments don't get us there any faster unfortunately.

DC
Old 05-20-2002, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robocop:
Why add any devices that were not in the setup the first time it happened?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've written extensively on this. Please look back.

Take care,

DC
Old 05-20-2002, 08:34 PM

Looks like Digiengineer might be able to get a studio on June 15th--thanks Digiengineer!

In the meantime, let's keep our ears open for something sooner.

DC
Old 05-20-2002, 08:35 PM

This exercise is like trying to get the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Green Partys, Communists, Nudists, Passivists, Pessimists, Optimists, and the French to agree on something!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24-bit:
This exercise is like trying to get the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Green Partys, Communists, Nudists, Passivists, Pessimists, Optimists, and the French to agree on something!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HA! You're catching on!!

In case anyone has a room to offer, I'm only available on weekends for the next 5 weeks unless something changes. I'm confident something will come along... thanks for your support.

DC
Old 05-20-2002, 09:43 PM

What if there's a minor tremor in the Hollywood basin?

Norcal just suffered through a grueling 15 sec 5.2-

...might jog the head calibration between passes. Can we all agree the anything greater than a 2.5...

You'll redo the test?
Old 05-21-2002, 12:56 AM

Dave,

You are a patient, patient man.

I suppose this still works though, since the 2nd mixdown Radar plays the same role as the Tascam. All the contestants are being treated equally.

Thanks for hanging in there.

What's the scoop on sonic graphs? Is this going to be a listening test only? With all that you've tried to do, I would understand if you didn't want to mess with any analyzing gear, I suppose we could do that ourselves with the files that become available.

Good luck with the test!
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 05-21-2002, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rtcstudio:

What's the scoop on sonic graphs? Is this going to be a listening test only? [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would like to start by graphing tones recorded on the 2" tape. Perhaps MM has some extra on the reel that we could record on.

I'd like to graph a test signal through the 2"--no tape--just to compare to Digi's graph, the recorded test signal off the tape, test signal through HD--no tape--, test signal through HD from tape. Hopefully all that can be done in a few minutes.

What would be the single best test signal to record so we have the most telling graph on the Audio Precision?

DC
Old 05-21-2002, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCarlock:

What would be the single best test signal to record so we have the most telling graph on the Audio Precision?

DC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Le noises of pink would be a good choice.
All frequencies, all the time, at the same energy.

The trouble is, that unless you have test equipment there at the session, you will not have the Tape machine output analysed and graphed, and that would be the control graph as the tape machine is the 'mother' of the signal test in this case.