Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-02-2023, 11:40 PM

Default Automation Working in Edit Window but not Mix Window

I'm using an old version of Pro Tools (M-Powered 7.4) on a PC (sorry I'm old and on a budget and it's working great for what I need it to do EXCEPT for this automation issue).
I just recently learned all all about automation. It's working 100% for me when I use the tools in the edit window on my tracks (so I'm glad about that) - BUT for some strange reason it's not working when I try automate using the Mix window faders or pan levers (like I have seen working in many tutorial videos also using my same version). Does anyone know what might be causing this? Or what the fix would be (besides the obvious buying a new PC and latest version option)?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

FTI - I do have the very latest updates for this version that were available.

Jake
Old 03-03-2023, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Automation Working in Edit Window but not Mix Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnowdog View Post
I'm using an old version of Pro Tools (M-Powered 7.4) on a PC (sorry I'm old and on a budget and it's working great for what I need it to do EXCEPT for this automation issue).
I just recently learned all all about automation. It's working 100% for me when I use the tools in the edit window on my tracks (so I'm glad about that) - BUT for some strange reason it's not working when I try automate using the Mix window faders or pan levers (like I have seen working in many tutorial videos also using my same version). Does anyone know what might be causing this? Or what the fix would be (besides the obvious buying a new PC and latest version option)?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

FTI - I do have the very latest updates for this version that were available.

Jake
Open the Automation Window and report back what automation parameters you have enabled. (Turned on and are red in the window)

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...mation-grab-go
Old 03-03-2023, 10:55 AM

AFAIK, Faders only follow the Automation on a Track. No Automation on a Track, you can move a Fader anywhere you want. Automation on a Track, you can't move the Fader anywhere you want, unless you're in Write Mode during Playback or Read Mode is off or you set Automation to Off Mode. Should be in your Reference Manual.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-03-2023, 12:45 PM

Thanks to both of you for replying to my question. I was able to figure it out earlier this morning and just finally got back to my upstairs PC to log on to either delete my question or report on the solution...

The one and only session that I was testing automation on had a Timeline Selection End Marker placed VERY close to the very beginning of the song (before the 0:00.2 time mark or after the 1 ! 1 ! 240 beats mark). I didn't even notice it until I expanded the edit window large/wide enough to see it.

Since I was starting my automation testing from the very beginning of the song - This condition was forcing the track's "Write" automation selection to only display for a fraction of a second and then it turned to "Auto Latch" - and even if I changed it back to "Write" as my tracks kept playing - the vol and pan faders had no writing effect on the track.

Once I moved that Timeline Selection End Marker to the absolute beginning - the automation in the mixer window started working like it's supposed to !!! I also tried another experiment by putting the Timeline Selection End Marker at the very end of my song and the automation in the mixer also worked perfect. I also tried setting the Timeline Selection End Marker where it initially was and started play AFTER that end marker and the automation in the mixer also worked perfect.

It just didn't like the change from an area that was timeline marked to an area that wasn't marked (and vise versa). Learn something new every day I guess.

Everything is now working perfect - just like it did in all the automation tutorial videos that I watched before my test !!!!

FYI - ALL of the automation options were selected in the automation window. I verified that yesterday - GOOD suggestion though - thanks again!!

Last edited by jakesnowdog; 03-05-2023 at 08:49 AM.