Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Is Beat Detective Out?

With the advent of Elastic Time for PTLE 7.4 is there really any use for Beat Detective anymore? Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't think of how to search it.

-Steve
Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Is Beat Detective Out?

Looks like it is, and EA is multi track to boot. Looks like it's time for me to dive in and upgrade. Really, I'm not crazy, I don't talk to myself all the time.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:57 PM

elastic audio is a different animal from beat detective. there are still many things with bd you cant do with elastic, plus elastic alters your audio file, not always good, can create artifacts! dont think bd is going anywhere, actually i think there is some improvments to bd in 7.4.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Yes, they have given us a new detection algorithm in beat detective & tab to transient... which is pretty cool, I have had to adjust (my working methods) a little, but on the whole I think it might be a cool improvement...

I personally think both have their strengths & weaknesses & both will be useful tools!

If you are using EA on drums remember to set your cymbal mics to Poly, as they sound gash on rhythmic...

Cheers

N
Old 11-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
With the advent of Elastic Time for PTLE 7.4 is there really any use for Beat Detective anymore?...
There sure is. Beat Detective isnt going to disappear from my work flow anytime soon. I also feel that Beat Detective can still be refined and added to in future PT builds. Both procedures will have there place. As mentioned by NickH, I also feel that some funky things happen to high frequency sounds such as cymbals etc and you have to dial stuff in to get it right and be careful with your EA choice. EA is just another useful tool just like BD. Whatever will work for the current situation at hand.

Having said that, I have been using both BD and EA together in the same workflow and finding some killer gems to maintain the utmost of fidelity.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit