Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2000, 06:37 AM

Default Midi Configuration

I'm having trouble getting MIDI configured, and the manual seems to be Mac oriented when it comes to details. I need a step by step set of instructions because from everything I've read and tried I get no sound or pop up with my congfiguration on it.

I have a Roland SC that I have MIDI cables out to in/ in to out with the Digi001. When asked in Wizard I created a general midi multimedia setting with RolandSC. When I go to setup peripherals, under Midi Controllers I don't get any choices other than CS10, DC16, HUI, MM16, PC1600. Am I supposed to choose one of these or should my controller be here?
Old 08-09-2000, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Midi Configuration

Go into the mix window and create a bunch of midi tracks and assign each midi track to a midi channel. (You actually only need one midi track to hear something. It might be easier to start with one.) Set up your keyboard to the same midi channels as you did for each midi track.

Add a Aux track in the mix window and set it up to input 3 and 4, and leave the outputs at S/PDIF. The audio from your keyboard should be plugged into input 3 and 4 on the 001.

Run the audio from the 001 out of monitor outputs l and r to your speakers. Push in the monitor mode button on the front of the 001 and turn it up. You should be able to hear something if you play the keyboard now. There are other set-ups but this should get you going.

Leave your midi cables are they are.

You shouldn't need to create a general midi set-up or use the wizard (as far as I know),
but I have an ancient pre-general midi keyboard. You don't need to choose any of the midi controllers.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2000, 04:41 PM

All I can say is "YOU ARE TOO COOL!!!" You explained it to a T. Why don't you write Digi and ask for a job writing their manuals?

Sorry.... just burned out on reading and rereading the Mac and TMD favored manual....

Thanks mfym!

PS. My Roland Sound Canvas is ancient by today's standards. Got it brand new 8 years ago when they added the floppy drive to it.

[This message has been edited by Brahmb (edited August 09, 2000).]
Old 08-09-2000, 07:11 PM

Work for Digidesign! I'd rather be a musician (oouch).

Glad to hear I could help out.

Happy sequencing.
Old 08-09-2000, 11:50 PM

Just to point out the midi controlers are for remote sliders and not to do with midi sound modules.

I think the thing to remember is that you need a track for everything. That means audio, midi, Aux and master fader. When I first set up the software the thing that confused me was that the track had to be in record enable to here the midi sounds.