Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Smile Thinking of building a new computer run PT 8 only

Hello there
Currently I have a Sony Vaio notebook with a core 2 duo CPU @ 2.10 Ghz per core Centrino
32 bit Vista home premium
4 gigabytes of Ramm
350 Gigabyte internal hard drive.
Out board Firewire hard drive to record to is 350 Gigabytes.
I am runnung a 22 inch Del monitor and
USB wireless keyboard and mouse.
M-Audio Axiom 49 and trigger finger
Profire 2626
Pro tools 8.0 CS2
OKORE 2

I have gone through the suggested "by Digidesign" list and turned off all of the candy in Vista.
I am still getting crashes such as when I try to bounce audio to the recording drive PT crashes and says this:

DAE cant get audio from the drives fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented or a firewire drive may be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load (-9073).

I have applied all of the suggested remidies and still this happens. I just think I need more horse power.

I searched this forum and I have applied all trouble shooting suggested on my own to no avail. I simply think that I am asking to much of this notebook computer, to run all the USB gear, M-Audio Axiom 49 and also the Trigger Finger. The outboard keyboard and the outboard monitor.

I run it this way due to having a bad back and need to be able to move around the keyboard and or mouse when working or else my legs and left arm go numb after about 20 minutes and I can get any work done after that.
In short, I am thinking Core i7. All I need is a new Mobo, Ramm and CPU. I have the rest of the parts to do the build.
Any suggestions about those parts would really be appreciated.
Budget is limited to about $700.00 for these 3 parts.
Hope I didn't run on to long in this post. Just wanted to give all info I could think of.
Thank you in advance for any replies.. and patiience with this newbee...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Thinking of building a new computer run PT 8 only

Check to see if your external or internal drive [Audio Drive]
Is not 5400 rpm drive.

those drives give these errors alot.
Make sure you use a 7200 rpm drive or faster,
Such as a VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm drive.

but a 7200 rpm should do it.

Also, make sure you are not using the same IRQ for the firewire on more than one hardware.

You also mention you are using a
Sony Vaio notebook with a core 2 duo CPU @ 2.10 Ghz per core Centrino
Check your setting in BIOS for Firewire settings.

And you can also try going AMD.

if you go AMD Phenom-II 940 and a UD4 gigabyte motherboard and Kingston DDR2,
it will sure keep you under 700 bucks.

But if your heart is set on Core-i7, then go for that.

Newegg.com is great for good prices.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. The Firewire outboard drive is a 7200 RPM drive and but I will check and see what the C:\ drive is just to make sure.
Thanks again..
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 AM

Are you using an approved firewire controller with a TI chip?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Firewire drive is hooked directly to the firewire port on the computer computer. It's a Sony Vaio so I don't know if it is using a TI chip or not.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM

I finally broke down and called Pro Tools support @ $3.00 a minute for some help with the errors I have been having. The answer to the problem is simply this.
Pro Tools 8.0 is not compatible with my Sony Vaio computer. They are not on the compatibility list.
When I purchased Pro Tools, I purposely took my computer with me and spoke with the head audio and recording hardware person in the store where I made the purchase. He said that it was a GREAT computer and would definately run PT 8.0 with no problems what so ever.
So much for trusting a sales man.
I do have a desktop computer with a quad core intel CPU but it has a NForce chipset in the motherboard. NForce chipsets are not compatible with PT. I tried to get parts for a new build from my local Frey's but they have no core i7 compatilbe mobo's in stock and only a few Cpu's that cost $700.00 and up...
So, I am going to re-build my desktop with a Intel chipset running Vista Ultimate. PT said that if I do that I should have no problems if I get the right PCI card for the Firewire outboard drive.
I am going to have a talk with the person at the store that sold me PT. The guy has his own well known studio in town. So much for trust when someone is trying to make a buck.
Thanks for all the help... I did get the answer.
PS.
Since PT could not give me a resolution for my problem, they did not charge me for the call... Their is still integrity in the world and I do appreciate it sooooooo much.
Richard
Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Now if DigiDesign would only rewrite the assembly code they must have in there which is chip specific, then maybe we all wouldn't have this ridiculous compatibility problem.

If you are going to release a software product and decouple it from proprietary hardware, then do the job right.

It's impossible to certify on every possible permutation of hardware, but it is possible to write transportable code which would work on the majority of systems and fix bugs as they come.