Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Default How do I convert multi-mono files to interleaved while preserving edits?

'pologies if this is a beginner question

I have a music editing session in Logic X (lots of wavs spotted to specific timestamps, cropped, crossfaded etc).

I need to bring it into PT12 so I exported it as an AAF.

Unfortunately the AAF stores all the files as split, mono .L and .R files. So, when I open the AAF inside PT, it gives me a bunch of mono tracks. I created new stereo tracks and dragged each pair of mono clips onto these new tracks. That fixes things visually and makes it easier to see all the edits.

But the clip list and audio folder are still full of these split files. It's annoying because there are hundreds of WAVs in the session.

If I could, I would just consolidate or bounce all the stereo tracks, but this isn't an available solution because the edits I'm making have to be approved.

What I'm looking for is a way to replace all the .L/.R files in the session with true stereo interleaved files while maintaining the placement, edits and crossfades of all clips in the session. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Re: How do I convert multi-mono files to interleaved while preserving edits?

"Shift+Option+3" will consolidate the file/s, that is to say, it will create a new file/s that includes any edits and fade positions.

As for transferring audio between Logic and PT, I've found the surest way is to zero all faders in Logic and then "export all audio files as seperate tracks" (not sure of the exact wording, but you'll find it under the File menu in Logic) and this will spit out all of your Audio and VI's as seperate audio files with the same start and end time, these can then be easily imported into PT for mixing - at least that's what I do.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Default Re: How do I convert multi-mono files to interleaved while preserving edits?

"What I'm looking for is a way to replace all the .L/.R files in the session with true stereo interleaved files while maintaining the placement, edits and crossfades of all clips in the session. Is that possible?"

Hmmm... not as far as I know, other than the steps you have already taken. Probably best to finish the arrangement in Logic and just mix in PT, but it really depends on your work flow.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
"Shift+Option+3" will consolidate the file/s, that is to say, it will create a new file/s that includes any edits and fade positions.

As for transferring audio between Logic and PT, I've found the surest way is to zero all faders in Logic and then "export all audio files as seperate tracks" (not sure of the exact wording, but you'll find it under the File menu in Logic) and this will spit out all of your Audio and VI's as seperate audio files with the same start and end time, these can then be easily imported into PT for mixing - at least that's what I do.
Yes, the problem is: I can't consolidate the edits. All of my edits have to be approved by the person to whom I'm handing off the session. So all the edit points and crossfades still have to be tweakable, all the referenced audio files still have to be complete even if only a small part is clipped in the session, etc.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Try making a new session. In the new session window select interleaved. Then import session data for any content you need from your previous pt session.
Now bring in your aaf. Your interleaved stereo files from logic will now be interleaved in pt.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Hi all,

I've narrowed the problem down a bit, when I export my Logic edit session to AAF it turns everything into dual mono. The files are already disinterleaved before hitting ProTools. So - setting up PT with "Interleaved" and "Convert files to session format" doesn't help.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:52 AM

OMF / AAF from Logic will not support stereo interleaved. I think you're gonna have to live with it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM

You could duplicate the playlists for all tracks you need to do this with, and then consolidate the files only on the duplicated playlists, then export as interleaved. That way you will still have the unconsolidated tracks available.

Another option, you could just save the session as is (unconsolidated) then consolidate the files and export the interleaved audio, then just go back to the unconsolidated session.