Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Mbox Pro 3 mic pre standalone mode not working?

I'm trying to get my MBox Pro 3 to work properly in the mic pre standalone mode.
From what I read, it should send the mic pre to the same numbered output. 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.
Also, the inserts should work in a the same way. I believe the converters are bypassed in this way. Possibly in both scenarios. Anyone know the answer to this?

Anyway, when I try to use it this way, all the mic input get sent to ALL the outputs and insert outs. I plug mikes into 1 and 2 and the signal of both mikes goes out on all outputs. This isn't correct right? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 mic pre standalone mode not working?

There is no "mic pre stand alone mode", the inserts are just analog inserts, if you just want to use the analog preamps just use the inserts. There is a stand-alone mode where you can use the internal mixer. But the preamps/inserts don't know what else is going on and certainly don't care. Stick an inset 1/4" phono plug in there and you get the same analog signal regardless of what is going on with the interface.

If you just want to use the analog mic pres. Then plug into the insets and ignore everything else... that is all before the converter. But the converters are not "bypassed" they normally feed everything except the analog insets... the internal mixer/routing is all digital. If your send cable does not send anything back then everything downstream will of course be "bypassed". If you want to run FX etc. that is all downstream of the insert and you to set that routing and FX up properly in the driver control panel.

If you are trying to do anything more complex then screen shots clearly showing your setup in the driver control panel would help...

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-13-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no "mic pre stand alone mode", the inserts are just analog inserts, if you just want to use the analog preamps just use the inserts. There is a stand-alone mode where you can use the internal mixer. But the preamps/inserts don't know what else is going on and certainly don't care. Stick an inset 1/4" phono plug in there and you get the same analog signal regardless of what is going on with the interface.

If you just want to use the analog mic pres. Then plug into the insets and ignore everything else... that is all before the converter. But the converters are not "bypassed" they normally feed everything except the analog insets... the internal mixer/routing is all digital. If your send cable does not send anything back then everything downstream will of course be "bypassed". If you want to run FX etc. that is all downstream of the insert and you to set that routing and FX up properly in the driver control panel.

If you are trying to do anything more complex then screen shots clearly showing your setup in the driver control panel would help...
There are three selectable standalone modes: AD/DA, Mic Pre. and Mixer.
I think something may be wrong with my unit. Especially considering that all the inserts are sending the signal from all the mic inputs. I will check this out again, but it should just pass signal 1 to 1 plain and simple with the inserts.
It was modified by BLA... Uh oh. I guess my next step is to call them perhaps.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
There are three selectable standalone modes: AD/DA, Mic Pre. and Mixer.
I think something may be wrong with my unit. Especially considering that all the inserts are sending the signal from all the mic inputs. I will check this out again, but it should just pass signal 1 to 1 plain and simple with the inserts.
It was modified by BLA... Uh oh. I guess my next step is to call them perhaps.
Ah jeez right they call it "sub stand alone modes" but technically the thing is either in host mode or standalone mode. And none of this stuff affects the inserts anyhow.

I am not perfectly clear what you mean by "all the inserts are sending the signal from all the mic inputs". You mean with an inset plug into any of the insert sockets you get signals from more than the mic preamp for that insert? That is physically not possible for a properly working unit, and is not affected by any of the standalone submode nonsense, so your must be broken/or BLA gooched it.