Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Re: New computer, a couple of error messages...

I think your problem may not be with the drive itself but the folder you use to hold your Pro Tools projects. And the user those/that folder is attached to is probably your username as it belongs to your other computer (and not the new computer). So you need to take ownership of that folder again (and all subfolders/files) with your new current username on the new system
Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I think your problem may not be with the drive itself but the folder you use to hold your Pro Tools projects. And the user those/that folder is attached to is probably your username as it belongs to your other computer (and not the new computer). So you need to take ownership of that folder again (and all subfolders/files) with your new current username on the new system
Thanks reading again...I honestly have no clue where to go from here...I’m not sure if I need to contact Avid Support? I don’t have the knowledge to take ownership, as all of my internet searches aren’t helping, and really confusing.

Thanks so much for jumping in and trying to assist!

Mark
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Well,

I think I have it resolved, and smeared to share so others can have the info, if they run into it.

Turns out that when you change permissions in your hard drive, it doesn’t change them in your folders. And then, when you you change the Pro Tolls permissions, you still need to open every sub folder and check there as well. Time consuming, but it appears I am back on track.

Have a great week,

Mark
Old 08-11-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholley View Post
Well,

I think I have it resolved, and smeared to share so others can have the info, if they run into it.

Turns out that when you change permissions in your hard drive, it doesn’t change them in your folders. And then, when you you change the Pro Tolls permissions, you still need to open every sub folder and check there as well. Time consuming, but it appears I am back on track.

Have a great week,

Mark
You do a get info, click on the gear, and select apply to all enclosed. That applies everything to all the subfolders. Not time consuming at all.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You do a get info, click on the gear, and select apply to all enclosed. That applies everything to all the subfolders. Not time consuming at all.
You know, that seems like it would work, but for some reason, it's not. I even had Avid on screen sharing, and they saw it too. Very strange.

You never know I guess. I'm not sure why, and will probably ask Apple for input as well, so when you apply to all, it should work.

Mark
Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM

you can also use a command line from terminal:

sudo chown -R YOURUSERNAME /Volumes/DRIVENAME

it'll ask for your password and then change all files/subfolders on that drive to your ownership

My guess is the "apply to all" didn't work because you didn't have ownership. You have to have ownership before changing permissions. Same info as my previous post about ownership when moving a drive.

If you drivename has spaces (spaces aren't allowed), you do it like this:
/Volumes/My Drive
becomes
/Volumes/My\ Drive

If your username has spaces, Apple by default creates a username that is the same with the spaces removed. That is what you should use for YOURUSERNAME

After you take ownership, the get info thing will work. Or you can use another command line (chmod) to change everything with one line for permissions.