Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Problems setting buffer times for Prism Orpheus when using Pro Tools 9...

I am using orpheus with PT9.02 and its brilliant no better conversion. but when I install 9.04 it messed it up and stopped working so had to roll back has anyone else had this prob
Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Problems setting buffer times for Prism Orpheus when using Pro Tools 9...

I'm seriously considering an Orpheus for my laptop... only use PT. This thread is really putting a damper on those plans.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Yup... and if you check the date of the first post, it's nearly a FULL YEAR LATER with no solution... I'm still stuck at 44.1khz or 88.2, no 48k or 96k
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 AM

Just wondering, is this problem exclusive to PCs or do Macs have the same problem (have an i7 MacBook pro)? Thank you all
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM

It's your lucky day!! Apogee still supports Macs. You're good to go. Macs use Core Audio which doesn't have this issue. PC's use ASIO Drivers, which for some reason Pro Tools will not play nice with.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher.Sauter View Post
It's your lucky day!! Apogee only abandoned PC's not Macs. You're good to go. Macs use Core Audio which doesn't have this issue. PC's use ASIO Drivers, which for some reason Pro Tools will not play nice with.
Thanks Christopher, cool!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Hello James,

I too have an Orpheus for about a year or two now.

Sadly I also have pancreatic and liver cancer.

I have therefore not been using it much because I have been undergoing heavy chemotherapy and often am just two tired to fight my way through trying to understand what is going on when I do get round to using it.

PrismSound have been helpful and a few months back pointed me towards a hardware update and also to using ASIO4ALL version 2.

I seem to be able to get sound in and out of PT 9 but I really don't know which bit of the path is having the final say on bit depth, sample rate etc, whether ASIO4ALL v2 is king over Orpheus, and PT9 settings, or whether Orpheus is king - or whether last but by no means least PT9 is having the final decisive say. If I'm not wrong you seem to be able to set these settings in different places - but which takes ultimaut control and what should they be set at in each place. ( buffer size is another thing that you raise here that can be set in different places - but what are we to do?)

It also seems that Orpheus is compliant with the technical requirements for the Audio Input Output Stream and that it is indeed an AVID issue that Pro Tools should address. This is the case because Avid PT is advertised as supporting ASIO. Having said that belief, I could be wrong, but I got that impression from my early exchanges on the issue about a year or so ago and from general discussion on the web about the issue.

I am just a guy having fun with high end gear at home (while I am still able to before my cancer develops further and stops me!) . I am not a professional and I am new to both Pro Tools and to Orpheus. I ams till trying to climb the learning curve for both products. Having said that I am 50 years old and have been recording since I was about 14 so you can't say my equipment or backround is lacking. But because of my cancer - my time is just as important to me as it is to a pro. The differences is that I'm not paid for mine ( although sadly many pros are not paid for their's correctly either).

Anyway - if you spend thousands of pounds on professional products I think its not unfair to be treated with respect. I think PrismSound have done that, but there is still so much more I wish both sides would do and could do if they worked more effectively together.

For instance I would like a joint 'factsheet' on how to best set up PT9 (10 and 11) with PrismSound Orpheus. - a definitive clear step by step guide.

I am also a member of Pro Tools Expert Forum and have in the past suggested PT Expert might like to do a series on doing just that for selected top end interfaces.

It seems crazy to me that these two market leaders are not addressing very well these issues on how to make both products work optimally with each other.

The fact that there is an ASIO4ALL v 2 layer to facter in as well just makes it one undocumented and unclear guessing game.

I am using Windows 7 Professionall 64 bit Operating sytem

Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 24/05/2011 10:34:21

on a relatively new Carillion Audio 4XT PC ( a couple of years old or so.)

3.25 gigahertz Intel Core i7 970
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
12288 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (6 total)
Hyper-threaded (12 total)

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. FB 08/24/2010

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 209.61 GB 105.15 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 290.39 GB 84.66 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 1) 1000.20 GB 981.42 GB free

to conclude this message I repeat I am also a member of Pro Tools Expert and have in the past suggested PT expert might like to do a series on doing just that for selected top end interfaces.

I hope you are still using your Orpheus and perhaps you, or somebody else reading this could attempt a reply on how to get these two professional products optimally interfaced.

I tell you that I have cancer - not to get sympathy - but because I'm going through a lot mentally and emotionally at the moment and I'd like to be making some music rather than reading manuals and reading Forums.

Music making is very theraputic and a huge distraction that I think would help me at the moment.

There is sometimes a mentaliity in the pro audio copmmunity, that non professionals like me are perhaps less important - but there are MANY reasons why people want to have fun and make music with the best tools we can. And, since my teans - like most of us - I have spent a small fortune investing in bigger and better gear as my studio has expanded helping to keep the MI and Pro Audio sector going.

So I'm hoping someone can help me check through how everything is set up between these products using the ASIO4ALLV2 driver to make sure I'm doing things optimally.

A definitive and authorative step by step set of instructions - preferably approved by both PrismSound and Avid would be a really positive step and would be just the sort of thing Pro Tools Expert could test and promote.

I think this would be time well spent by PT Expert and would have great value to both Avid and PrismSound and PT Expert's reputation - everyone would win some love and credibility. The users would be really pleased at last that the bridge had been built and documented - for the first time properly.

Finally, if MAC and Logic are indeed strategically going prosumer with Logic and if Avid are serious about cementing their hard earned reputation at the Pro end of the market - it is these kinds of relationships with High End interface developers like PrismSound that they need prioritising.

Long post - but thanks for listening.

I just want to check that everything is set up optimally. I'm sure I may get some 'this is how it works for me' replies - and that would be appreciated, but why can't we have an official joint set of instructions- the definitive and authorateive official approved answer?

regards

T.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Cool Re: Problems setting buffer times for Prism Orpheus when using Pro Tools 9...

Hello T... i'm so sorry to hear about your condition, but it's very inspiring to see you make the most of your time and keep living your life.. If i was faced with the same situation you are in, i don't know if i would have the strength to keep on like you are, so you are a major inspiration to me

I'm on an Apogee AD-16x, i really wish i could give you advice on the Prism from experience but i've never used it.. although i bet the conversion is a step ahead of the Apogee :) I haven't used ASIO 4 ALL in a while because i abandoned my whole PC setup & just bought the new macbook pro... I do remember spending SOOO much frustrating time trying every single setting between ASIO4ALL, my Windows 7, & pro tools 9 to make it all work & at the end i could only record at 44.1 & 88.2... because protools wouldn't accept any buffer sizes that weren't multiples of 32, and STILL won't... lol

It's definitely a tricky & frustrating road you're venturing down, and i'm not completely sure either which program has the final say over sample rate/bit depth because in ASIO is have a setting that says something like "always resample 48->41" or something along those lines... Hopefully someone here with the Prisim can chime in and give you exact instructions for that converter... I also remember getting frustrated that everytime i'd adjust setting in ASIO4ALL, protools would automatically feel the need to close the session & restart because my "audio preferences have changed" or something to that effect... lol

GAHH!!! Bad memories, hahaha, i'm very sorry i can't be of more help to you... Have you searched on gearslutz.com ?? there's usually a lot of answers on audio questions there too...

KEEP ON TRUCKIN' T!!!

-Chris