Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Default fan noise from 888/24 interface

D Clementson, I notice you frequent this forum and I know you are familiar (to say the least) with the good 'ol 888. So I'm re-posting here:

I just added one of these to my set-up and it's kind of noisy. Light steady resonating vibration. Sort of like the neighbor mowing the lawn across the street.
I'm wondering if the fan is going bad??
Or maybe that's just how it is?
It seems to be mostly a vibration transferring from the fan to the case when attached.
I could put it in another room, but it has meters and I'd have get longer cables, etc.
Has anyone tried using a quieter fan? Pabst or Verax or...
Pabst makes a couple fans that have more quiet specs- not sure how compatible they would be:
http://www.ebmpapst.us/allpdfs/600NG%2EPDF
I also noticed that Verax makes a screw kit that isolates fan vibrations:
http://www.veraxfans.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=A

And here is a link to the specs for the fan that is currently inside the 888/24 (Panaflo FBA06A24L):
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...pdf/fba06a.pdf

Thanks for any help that comes this way!!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Re: fan noise from 888/24 interface

no answer Felix, sorry (hello fellow Portlander!)

but while we're on the subject, I have the same question about the 192. Mine is annoying me daily. Are there suitable fans that will keep it happy but be more quiet than the built in fan?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM

thanks for the response, fellow Portlander!
pretty lonely on this thread.
i've ordered a Pabst fan of similar specs, only much quieter noise ratings.
i've also ordered a Verax mounting kit to reduce the transfer and resonance of the fans vibration to the metal case (not sure if the Pabst fan will even have this issue but the kit is only $5.)

so, i'll keep you posted.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Update:
The Verax isolation kit ($7) came right away.
It took about a month to finally get the fan (Pabst 614NML). It wasn't really compatible. Didn't seem to blow nearly as much air and it wasn't really much quieter. Maybe even noisier. Fortunately, the place I bought it from said they would credit my account and I could keep the fan (imagine that).

The good news is that the Verax kit really does work. The fan is much quieter. Pretty amazing.
I had to expand the screw holes on the metal piece with a drill so the Verax pieces could fit through. and i didn't bother with the fan cage as it isn't needed and might even cause more noise.
Otherwise, the kit was very easy to install and like I said, it's much more quiet now.

Hope this is useful to others out there as this is one of those important issues that Digidesign apparently doesn't want to comment on. It's good we have this forum at least.