Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Question for OS 9 G4 Mix users

Anyone using either the Quicksilver or the Mirror Door Drive or have used either or both with PT Mix on OS 9??
I am thinking about selling my dual gig Mirror Door Drive G4 and getting a certified used Quicksilver 2002 model.
(Main reason, if it needs to be pointed out, is the noise / thermal problems of the MDD model, particularly when in OS9.)
The only slight downgrades I can see are slightly slower system bus (133 instead of 167) and maybe a slower ATA (60 vs. 100).
I don't the see the DDR memory as a significant factor. And it's not the FW 800 model so that doesn't weigh in either.

If the Quicksilver G4 is truly the quietest G4, then I would love to swap it out for my freegin' loud, melting MDD.
I sort of have recollections of people saying the Quicksilver is very stable and solid(and quiet) with OS 9 and PT MIX.

Any red flags I'm missing here? I'm trying to avoid problems that don't get noticed until weeks or months after I've made the switch and am stuck with it. (Kind of like what happened with the MDD G4!!)
Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

My system: G4 MDD dual 1 gig 1024 RAM with PT 5.1.3, Mix Plus with 2 DSP Farms (4 Digi PCI cards total) 882|20 Interface with Rosseta AD and Lucid DA.

Thanks again anyone!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Question for OS 9 G4 Mix users

(Main reason, if it needs to be pointed out, is the noise / thermal problems of the MDD model, particularly when in OS9.)

you could also replace the fans with silent ones..
i did it , still a bit noisy but better then before.

regards
Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

you could also replace the fans with silent ones..
i did it , still a bit noisy but better then before.

regards
still won't be as quiet (and cool) as the Quicksilver (as far as I've heard...). it's more of an overall design problem than simply a noisy fan issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:07 PM

well i guess this is more a legacy PT questions though there isn't really a section for MIX system users...
anyone out there with any words of wisdom on this? too busy making music?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:07 PM

well i guess this is more a legacy PT question though there isn't really a section for MIX system users...
anyone out there with any words of wisdom on this? too busy making music?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:20 PM

if you are going to say in OS9 you are not loosing much
if you are wanting to step up to HD and 7.x+ then you will need to keep the newer machine
if that upgrade is way off you'll need a new computer at that time

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
if you are going to say in OS9 you are not loosing much
if you are wanting to step up to HD and 7.x+ then you will need to keep the newer machine
if that upgrade is way off you'll need a new computer at that time
Thanks Craig!
my thinking on this is that i'll have a MIX system for PT on OS9 for a while. i integrate a laptop with Logic and Reason on OS X. so i'm happy with that for now.
i put my G4 in another room (not a closet so there's plenty ventilation). I don't hear the noise from it, but it still gets really really hot esp. when the weather gets above 75 F. it will be too hot to touch for more than a few seconds and fan will be pulsing at extremely fast rates. quite alarming to listen to!
so rather than wasting time and money trying to cool it down, it looks like i can find a used Quicksilver dual gig or 933 single (OS 9 won't use more than 1 g of the dual anyway) for around $300-400.
from what i've been led to believe, switching the MIX system to Quicksilver should solve the problem with noise and over heating.
...right?

i can either sell the MDD or use it for OS X apps. (it doesn't have nearly the same heating issues and fan pulsing when running OS X)
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM

I'm a little worried about you here... I have a MDD Mix+++ system (but I'm in OSX not OS9) and I don't have the heat/noise problems you speak of. In fact. the noisiest thing here is the EXPANSION CHASSIS the cards sit in! That might be the difference...

See if you can get a chassis on ebay before you swap the system out... that might help with the heat/noise. And if not you can turn it around quick enough again on eBay. Just a suggestion... don't know if it'll fit your problem.

I was running an 800, then a dual 800, but they both died on me (CPU and Logic board, respectively) - but I still kept the mix cards in the chassis. I have a Mix Core, two Mix Farms and two DSP farms ( and also a UAD1 card ) which obviously won't fit in a Mac tower on it's own.
Control|24
Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 PM

I'm a little worried about you here... I have a MDD Mix+++ system (but I'm in OSX not OS9) and I don't have the heat/noise problems you speak of. In fact. the noisiest thing here is the EXPANSION CHASSIS the cards sit in! That might be the difference...

See if you can get a chassis on ebay before you swap the system out... that might help with the heat/noise. And if not you can turn it around quick enough again on eBay. Just a suggestion... don't know if it'll fit your problem.

I was running an 800, then a dual 800, but they both died on me (CPU and Logic board, respectively) - but I still kept the mix cards in the chassis. I have a Mix Core, two Mix Farms and two DSP farms ( and also a UAD1 card ) which obviously won't fit in a Mac tower on it's own.
Control|24
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:

That's a great idea! I didn't realize how cheap the expansion chasis are now on eBay.
The cards indeed cause a great deal of the heat as they're loaded with processors. Still a little weary as you're using OS X which handles the fan operation much better. However, if the cards are away from the meltdown in the G4 then all is good.

This opens up a new can of worms though.
Which approved 7 slot one do i get?
The slots in the G4 are 64 Bit. Does it need to be a 64 Bit model (most ones i see are 32 bit)?
If the Digidesign says it's supported does that mean for OS 9 as well? (they only mention OS X as qualified OS)