How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 08-26-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Dedicated Knob Expansion Zone and WS clicked zones

Hi all!

New S6 user, only had it for few weeks.

It's a wonderful piece of gear I must admit, especially when you get to a point where you can expand/spill controls on a whim without too much thinking to whatever feels right: knobs, faders, joysticks. Brings you back into this comfortable touch-listen-feel frame of soul and mind, away from too visually dominant single-minded mouse based interaction

We have 16 fader 5 knob + screens M40 S6 plus extra dedicated knob and joystick modules.

I am trying to set up the preferences to expand any plugin across the dedicated Knob Module (configured as Expand Module 1) when opened on workstation (clicked). I have "Display Knobs from Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" pointing to this dedicated Knob Module (as 1st Expand Knob Module), but there's few issues/inconsistencies:

1. When session is freshly opened, dedicated Knob Module stays dark and does not respond to opening plugins on workstation. I have to touch it expanding any plugin from Master Module first, and only then it will start responding to opening plugins UI on workstation.

2. In some cases opening plugin UI expands parameters to this dedicated Knob Module, but mostly I have to click plugin nameplate (UI opens, no change on Knob Module), click again (UI closes) and click again (UI opens, Knob Module populated). I noticed that if I select track fist (by clicking on nameplate), opening plugin UI expand its controls to Knob Module straight away. Also, if plugins are on the same track UI gets expanded straight away too. From this I gather that system attentions track from clicking on plugin on non-attentioned track, but fails to do a follow up action and expand UI to target Knob Module.

Please see video of this behaviour below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qwl-QBb0jQ

Also, I have two feature requests for consideration if possible?

1. It would be great to have a preference to have plugin sets expanded automatically in the Function Scroller (avoiding having to pinch open all the time), along with pre-existing Dynamics and EQ sections..

2. Related to #1 it would be great to expand plugin/Dynamics/EQ/etc. to expansion knobs by selecting from the Function Scroller (especially if they are already expanded in the Function Scroller). This will make it more consistent with clicking plugin on workstation and having it controls expanded to an Expansion Knob/Fader or Knob AND Fader Modules) and speed workflow up by saving lots of effort having to touch expansion Knob Module from MM all the time!

Basically the idea is to have Knob/Fader Expansion Zone have controls expanded automatically and uniformly from plugin/aux/send etc. touched anywhere: on MM Function scroller, on WS, on Process Module, as Jeff would put it, you select anything - boom, it's expanded!

Many thanks, Ivan

P.S. S6, Pro Tools and Eucon are on latest versions, can post specific details when I'm back on campus later on today.

Last edited by Ivan.S; 08-26-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: Dedicated Knob Expansion Zone and WS clicked zones

Thanks for the post, we'll get back to you next week as I'm dealing with CA fire evacuation at the moment. Eddie
Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thanks for the post, we'll get back to you next week as I'm dealing with CA fire evacuation at the moment. Eddie
Much appreciated and stay safe!

WScontrol and S6 M40 version both: 20.6.1.3
Eucon: 4.6.2.3
Pro Tools: 20.5.0.207
MacOS 10.13.6
Old 09-04-2020, 08:40 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Is the knob zone below your Panner allocated as Knob Zone 1? What do you have set for behaviors on Attention for Knob Zone 1 assuming it is? (Home Page > Local Options)

Also, please indicate what options you have enabled for Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area preference.

thanks,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-04-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Is the knob zone below your Panner allocated as Knob Zone 1? What do you have set for behaviors on Attention for Knob Zone 1 assuming it is? (Home Page > Local Options)

Also, please indicate what options you have enabled for Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area preference.

thanks,

Jeff
Hi, Jeff!

1. Discrete knob module below panner is allocated as Knob Zone 1. Actually, it cannot be allocated to Zone 2 as system seems to be aware of its discrete nature and pre-allocates it as Zone 1 and this could not be changed (only Zone 2 allocated additionally from either of knob-fader buckets). I would expect system keep it active as Expand Knob 1 at all times too, but it seems to become responsive only after Enable Attention Expand Knob Zone setting toggled on (and stays responsive when the setting is toggled off)

2. I currently have LastSelected across the board across all zones (2 knobs, 1 fader).

3. Display knobs from most recently clicked DAW area has 1st Expand Knob Module selected.

4. Attention most recently clicked DAW area, checked:
Track Name
Plug-ins
Edit Window
Sends
Edit selection move up/down

5. Ticked the following below:
Attention from focused DAW only
Select track most recently attentioned from surface
Attention track of most recently selected surface function
Focus workstation of (sic) most recently attentioned track
Show home screen on strip attention

Regards, Ivan

Last edited by Ivan.S; 09-04-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 AM
Avid

Can you confirm that the Attention Zone Knob Module (1) is being populated correctly when attentioning from the surface - such as pressing a attention (triangle) switch on a channel strip or touching a track from the matrix on the Tracks page in Attention mode? Thanks.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Can you confirm that the Attention Zone Knob Module (1) is being populated correctly when attentioning from the surface - such as pressing a attention (triangle) switch on a channel strip or touching a track from the matrix on the Tracks page in Attention mode? Thanks.

Jeff
It's a bit tricky as it depends on the status of Enable Knob Expansion Zones upon startup.

If set to Enable (which also enables 2nd Knob Expansion Zone) and preferences set to, say, Dynamics and EQ as backup, it behaves as expected, showing Dynamics and EQ (if Dynamics is not present) on attentioned track. Strangely it shows Mic Pre controls if there's neither Dynamics nor EQ plugin present on the attentioned track?

If set to Enable and Last Selected is enabled for the 1st Knob Expansion Zone, touching plugin parameter on MM screen and the touching anything on 1st Knob Expansion Module gets parameters populated (as expected). Side Note: I would love to have a preference to make it to happen automatically when plug in is selected in MM scroller, similar to what happens when plugin opened on WS, as I outlined earlier in this thread.

If Knob Expansion Zones set to Disable upon startup, 1st Knob Expansion Module does not get parameters populated. I need to Enable Knob Expansions Zones first, and then it gets populated as described above, no matter if Knob Expansion Zones are enabled or not (that would be my expected default behaviour). For clarity: Knob Expansions Zones need to be enable manually ONCE and this seems to awaken discrete Knob Expansion Module and then it stays active no matter is knob expansion zones are enabled or not.

Oddly enough when I select plugin parameter in MM screen and try to touch 1st Expansion Knob Module even if Knob Expansion Zones set to Disable upon startup, plugin window opens on WS as per preference to enable WS Open Window on WS wWhen Knobs Assigned pointing to 1st Knob Expansion Modules. Which kind of confirms that system is aware that it's been touched?

Hope it helps, Ivan
Old 09-07-2020, 08:23 AM
Avid

It doesn’t sound like it’s a simple matter of jiggering preferences in your particular scenario. I would suggest opening a support case where they can inspect deeper and perhaps examine your log files.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Case-Creation

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-07-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It doesn’t sound like it’s a simple matter of jiggering preferences in your particular scenario. I would suggest opening a support case where they can inspect deeper and perhaps examine your log files.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Case-Creation

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you, support case created.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Avid

Try turning this off "Enable Attention Expand Knob Zone" We have a bug logged that this isn't working correctly.