Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Latency of 3rd party interfaces compared to HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Pardon my unscientific thinking on the issue of latency. In my humble opinion latency is an undeniable fact of digital,(and analog) recording. It's a fact and it's not going away. There are ways to deal with it and most, if not all the manufacturers of Interfaces have developed ways to record without it being an issue. As a musician I've been involved in sessions that predate digital recording and I can't recall latency even being mentioned. The particular sessions I am referencing required vocal overdubs of both main vocal and background. As long as there were no headphones issues as far as levels were concerned, latency never reared it's ugly head! I don't believe the average musician or vocalist would be bothered or could even discern 1 or 2 ms. of latency! My advice. Deal with it and move on!
If you were monitoring through an analog console there is no latency.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Will you get a chance to make the 88.2KHz measurement in Pro Tools as well? I will get an access to Apogee again in about two weeks time.
PT12.5 with Apogee Ensemble at 88.2kHz - same result at
88.2kHz, 64buffer RTL = 1.93ms
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-26-2016, 03:35 AM

I wish Pro Tools supported a 32 sample buffer at 88.2 and 96kHz like some other DAWs, then we'd be getting latencies of under 1ms with some of these interfaces.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 AM

Darryl Ramm. Wouldn't there be a delay from the time the singer(or musician) uttered a word or played a note to the instant it hit the record head? There would logically be some amount of delay,(as in ms.). Recall if you will, the first semi pro/commercial 4 track tape machines. Synchronization switches were added to enable musicians and vocalists to overdub additional parts in sync with the initially recorded track. No intent here to argue. I acknowledge you as the expert on digital recording!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Darryl Ramm. Wouldn't there be a delay from the time the singer(or musician) uttered a word or played a note to the instant it hit the record head? There would logically be some amount of delay,(as in ms.). Recall if you will, the first semi pro/commercial 4 track tape machines. Synchronization switches were added to enable musicians and vocalists to overdub additional parts in sync with the initially recorded track. No intent here to argue. I acknowledge you as the expert on digital recording!
Syncing what is going to tape with what is on tape is different than monitoring. There is no delay in an analog monitoring path, one reason why so many folks still track on analog consoles and many audio interfaces include analog (zero latency) monitoring mixers....
Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
I wish Pro Tools supported a 32 sample buffer at 88.2 and 96kHz like some other DAWs, then we'd be getting latencies of under 1ms with some of these interfaces.
I would really like this as well.
I put this in ideascale a month or two ago (if you want to add a vote - LOL). Would be great to at least have this as an option. I do 96k/32 in Logic and S1 and it is 1.1ms with Apogee Ensemble and works decently if you keep the other loads low.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html