Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Pro Tools not responding when audio interface selected as playback engine

Okay people of the internet I need some help before I shell out all of my money getting my computer looked at and/or buying a whole new one. My PC is having troubles running Pro Tools when my audio interface is selected as the playback engine. When I select my interface (Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD), Pro Tools just stops responding. When looking at the performance in task manager, I found that the CPU spikes to 100% usage for a sec and then drops down. It's also showing that my CPU is running at 3.55ghz but the max speed is 3.2ghz (see attached screenshot). The system requirements for Pro Tools states one needs an Intel core i5 which I have so I can't figure out the problem. Runs just fine when the interface isn't at play, but without the interface I can't really do much. Pro Tools also isn't liking communicating with my MIDI controller but that's it's own problem and will be dealt with on another day. Someone please help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools crash.jpg (65.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not responding when audio interface selected as playback engine

Hi.
Have you done the recommended optimizations and troubleshooting?
They're here:
Help Us Help You
Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not responding when audio interface selected as playback engine

I have done all the optimizations
Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstapleton View Post
I have done all the optimizations
And did you notice the last part in the link i provided:
Quote:
At the very least, we need the following information (Windows users - see below for additional requirements!):
  • Computer model and processor speed
  • OS version
  • Avid hardware model
  • Pro Tools version
  • Amount of RAM installed
  • A complete and precise description of any attached peripherals (hard drives, video devices, other FireWire or USB devices that may be attached, etc). We need to know to which port on the computer they're connected to, what type of cables you're using (is it a FW800-FW400 adapter cable? How long is it? Are you using an extender or repeater?) and, if you've tried replacing cables, what the differences were between the original and the replacement.
  • Number and type (firewire, SATA, SCSI, etc) of drives installed, how they're formatted and which one(s) you're using for recording and playback.
  • A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - please be as specific as possible! The first thing we'll ask is 'Have you done everything in the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?', so we'll want to know that you've done ALL of it and, if you've not done everything, we need to know what you have or have not done, as this can have a huge impact on further troubleshooting.
Windows users should provide a Sandra report

Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile.

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post.

You can find videos on how to create a Sandra report here (generously provided by community member Benoni).

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for Tech Support and other users to assist you - take the time now to document everything you can and you'll save time in the long run. We can't express enough the importance of describing everything in extreme detail - remember, no one here can see how your gear is configured, so we need an accurate description by you to get a clear picture. The better we can envision your setup, the easier it will be to troubleshoot.

__________________________________________________ ____________

If you have been referred to this thread and reply without providing the information requested above, including the Sandra report for Windows users, your post is very likely to be given lower priority in favor of those who have provided complete information.
Just trying to help.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Couple of things to check.

1) make sure that your audio device, the Behringer U-Phoria is listed as DISABLED in the Playback and Recording tabs of the Sound Devices window in Control Panel. If Windows sees your audio device, it will try to use it, which won't let Protools use it.

2) Make sure you have updated drivers from Behringer for your audio device.

3) I would seriously consider trying to find a different device, by a more reputable manufacturer. Behringer is not widely renowned for making high quality hardware or software. Focusrite, Prenonus, Roland, MOTU, Tascam, Steinberg, etc...all make well regarded budget audio interfaces with quality drivers.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Try setting your Buffer Settings to Standard and 1024 samples. This is how I got mine to work. See attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UMC204HD.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)