Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Re: MIDI Playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I do that all the time. Sometimes I'll use two different, but similar, snare samples and peck away at the keypad for a surprisingly non-choppy fill.

When you say piano-type are u referring to using non-weighted keys for the drums, pads or both?
I just wanted to differentiate between a computer keyboard and a keyboard you play notes on. Using either type of keyboard for drum programming is an exercises in futility and won't give you a convincing sound. Trust this drummer when I say that. When you go to the local GC don't let the salesdroids push you into something you don't need. And don't waste time and money on min-sized keys - get a keyboard with full size keys AND that also has a 4x4 pad matrix for inputing drum notes. For a pad-only there's this from Akai: http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/mpd-218 For pads and regular keys there's this from Akai (sold by Sweetwater) : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249

I wouldn't go for a lesser number of keys than 4 octaves; if you have the space & money go for the MPK261 also from Sweetwater.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I just wanted to differentiate between a computer keyboard and a keyboard you play notes on. Using either type of keyboard for drum programming is an exercises in futility and won't give you a convincing sound. Trust this drummer when I say that. When you go to the local GC don't let the salesdroids push you into something you don't need. And don't waste time and money on min-sized keys - get a keyboard with full size keys AND that also has a 4x4 pad matrix for inputing drum notes. For a pad-only there's this from Akai: http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/mpd-218 For pads and regular keys there's this from Akai (sold by Sweetwater) : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249

I wouldn't go for a lesser number of keys than 4 octaves; if you have the space & money go for the MPK261 also from Sweetwater.
In there lies the problem, I'm broke as ****... and like I was just saying, I couldn't justify spending money (let's just say for this purpose I have some cash) on keyboards and drum VIs when I need much more important things, like monitors, on the recording side, and a new guitar on the music side.. I've been stuck playing some crap Squire Strat.

So basically I'm stuck with what I got. I never knew what Structure Free was, but it apparently came with PT, so I'm definitely gonna check that out.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:47 PM

You might take a look at this video. It shows how to make a drum track template for use in PT. Might be helpful. He uses Xpand2, but the same concept would work with Structure Free or any other drum VI.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
In there lies the problem, I'm broke as ****... and like I was just saying, I couldn't justify spending money (let's just say for this purpose I have some cash) on keyboards and drum VIs when I need much more important things, like monitors, on the recording side, and a new guitar on the music side.. I've been stuck playing some crap Squire Strat.
Don't knock that Squire Strat especially if the neck is comfortable for you to play on. For me one of the most important things with a guitar is how it feels to my hand; the sound is almost secondary. That's why when I go to a music store and try a guitar I don't plug in to an amp right away - I'll play it just for the feel. When that is right only then do I plug in (a Marshall if they have one or a Fender Twin but it has to be a tube amp).

If you do like the way that Squire plays for you there's a bunch of things you can do to get the sound where you want it. Cheapest is a good setup with strings, neck adjustment if needed and intonation. That alone will make the feel and playing a lot easier. Check out Stewart Macdonald (abbreviated StewMac) website for some really good books on setting up a guitar. Then if you want you can change out the pickups. Not all that complicated if you pick up a pre-wired kit that just drops in. There are some that even come right on a new pickguard so it's a simple swap-out when you change strings.

QAPLA!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't knock that Squire Strat especially if the neck is comfortable for you to play on. For me one of the most important things with a guitar is how it feels to my hand; the sound is almost secondary. That's why when I go to a music store and try a guitar I don't plug in to an amp right away - I'll play it just for the feel. When that is right only then do I plug in (a Marshall if they have one or a Fender Twin but it has to be a tube amp).

If you do like the way that Squire plays for you there's a bunch of things you can do to get the sound where you want it. Cheapest is a good setup with strings, neck adjustment if needed and intonation. That alone will make the feel and playing a lot easier. Check out Stewart Macdonald (abbreviated StewMac) website for some really good books on setting up a guitar. Then if you want you can change out the pickups. Not all that complicated if you pick up a pre-wired kit that just drops in. There are some that even come right on a new pickguard so it's a simple swap-out when you change strings.
Totally. I do the same thing when playing around at local stores.. nothing gets plugged in unless the feel is there.

As far the the Squire goes I already gutted the thing n put in all new electronics (wires, pots, pups, etc). I'm just not a big fan of Maple fretboards, which it has. It's my #1; I use it for standard tuning or drop d. Then I have a super cheapo Chinese one that's still stock (plays nice, sounds terrible). I usually keep that one in open g, although I'm planning on setting it up for an open E5 tuning this weekend, EEBBBB. I like having that second guit so I don't have to constantly re-intonate my main Strat.

I'm familiar with stewmac. Guitar Fetish (GFS) is a cool online store as well. They pretty much make knock offs of all the popular pups. They're cheap and actually sound good too.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Does Structure Free just have those 3 drum kits, studio, 80s electric and 90s electric? All the rest are loops that don't work like the 3 kits I just mentioned (playing samples with the midi controller). I noticed a Structure Free download page, but it's old and none of the links work.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Does Structure Free just have those 3 drum kits, studio, 80s electric and 90s electric? All the rest are loops that don't work like the 3 kits I just mentioned (playing samples with the midi controller). I noticed a Structure Free download page, but it's old and none of the links work.
You can load you own samples into Structure Free.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You can load you own samples into Structure Free.
I'm pretty sure I have ver 1.5.6 of Structure Free. I've been looking for the manual but all I can find is an old download page from the avid site. The links are broken and it's from ver 1.0.2
Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The reason I wanted it as MIDI was so I could split the notes by pitch, and have each drum/cymbal on it's own track. I don't think you can do something like that in GB.
Did you sort this out Adam? I've been tearing my hair out over the same thing. i.e. want to record (and split) midi using the drum module sounds without using a plugin that changes them. Recording okay, just can't route for playback without a plugin I don't want.