Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Suddenly No Sound Output/Input

Hello, there...

I was recording yesterday and everything was 100% fine. I went to a show and came back a few hours later, and found that PT would no longer do playback. It's possible that my boyfriend changed a setting while bringing up another screen, but he wouldn't be able to tell me what he did, even if so. I'm hoping someone out there might have some suggestions for things I might not have thought to try already.

1. I can hear my microphone through the MBox headphones, and it shows on the MBox LED, but it isn't reading on the Edit window fader. PT will record, but since no signal is actually coming in, it records nothing. I've already checked I/O settings, volume, mutes, routing, even rebooted, trashed preferences, etc.

2. All previously recorded tracks also show up in the fader, but I now can't hear playback.

3. Bounces of the audio work, but I just can't hear them while bouncing.

Using:

Pro Tools LE 6.9
Mac OS X 10.3.9
Mac G4 Dual
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Avid

Default Re: Suddenly No Sound Output/Input

I would try a new admin account and see if things are working there.

Also, you may want to download and install the v22 firmware, in case it's a firmware corruption causing the problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Thank you for your fast reply.

None of those things worked for me, but the good news is that in trying those, I figured out what was going on. All I needed to do was shut down Pro Tools, unplug the MBox from the computer itself, plug it back in and restart PT! I guess we sometimes overlook the tiniest of things when we're in a panic.

In case anyone in the future comes looking for a similar problem... earlier in the day, I now recall that I accidentally unplugged the MBox from the back of the unit while I was in the middle of a session. I got the message that the MBox was disconnected, so I plugged it in and it was fine. Later, I recall getting a message saying something about the timecode/clock being out of sync, and I didn't know what it was in regards to... but I restarted Pro Tools and it was fine. I recorded, edited, mixed, etc and saved my session before I left.

But now I see that it really needed to be reset after that error by unplugging the MBox from the computer altogether.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Avid

Ah, yes, that would make sense. Glad it was an easy fix!