How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2002, 05:43 PM

Default wheres the midi channels motu fastlane usb

Hello,
Just started usinpro free on a g4 havin problems with selecting a midi channel when using motu fastlane usb basically it doesnt give me options to pick an out channel (1-16)????is there something ridiculously simple or ??/
thanks

rob
Old 05-13-2002, 07:26 PM

Default Re: wheres the midi channels motu fastlane usb

Hey Rob, This info may help you out, it is basically everything vital(or most of it anyway) to getting started with Midi in general in OMS, which is the application that runs all Midi for ProTools.
1. Open up OMS. This is done by going to the setup menu in pro tools, then choosing OMS studio setup.
This will launch the OMS application.
2. Once OMS is on the screen, choose New Studio Setup. Basically OMS will scan all possible ports available on all available Midi Interfaces, as long as you have properly installed any neccessary software that your interface requires.
3. When finished with its scan of your USB ports on the Mac, OMS will make you check off which ports you want to use. If you have an 8 channel interface, for example, you can choose to use only certain ports. Make sure you have checked off the neccessary ones or just all of them. By the way, at this point these ports look like little keyboards/piano's. Now click OK to leave this dialog.
4. Now on the OMS screen you should see everything laid out as a map, with your interface near the top and all these keyboard icons connected to it.
5. Click on these Icons twice to open up the device dialog. You now have to choose the make and model of the device on each port seperately. These windows are pretty easy to get through. You may however own keyboards that were made after the demise of Opcode (who made oms) such as Korgs Triton. These profiles wil not be in these make/model lists You can though choose to leave it as a generic device, but you wont see any patch names, you will only get numbers when changing patches in Pro Tools. There are ways to get ahold of these patch names lists however, on the internet tht people have made themselves, but not neccessary for now.
6. After you have made a profile for this device, test out your work by choosing the TEST STUDIO command. I cant recall which menu this is under right now, one of the main menus though. Your cursor will now look like a note and if you click on any devices in the window, it will attempt to send a Midi Message through that port. If you are clicking on the device connected to port one of your Midi interface, you should see a light flash on that port of the interface. If all of this stuff has not helped, you probably need to check out to USB drivers installed on your computer and make sure the nesseccary ones to us your interface are installed correctly. Hopes this helps. With the limited info you gave, I can only guess whether I have totally restated the obvious. Hope I did not. Later, Dan