Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 AM

Default Use Behringer x32 compact and Motu Hybrid 896mk3 with Protools at the same time

Hello,

Is it possible to run the Behringer x32 Compact digital mixer and the Motu Hybrid 896mk3 Hybrid digital mixer at the same time within Protools.

I launched Protools 11 64 bit >Setup > Playback Engine
The only thing listed was my Motu ASIO device.

I connected my X32, installed the X UF USB drivers because the XUF card is the type of card that came with the X 32 when I purchased it.

reboot my pc and x32.

Launched PT again and still only MOTU ASIO device is listed.

I was able to setup the X32 as the playback engine but only after uninstalling the MOTU drivers completely.

I'd like to be able to use both mixers. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Use Behringer x32 compact and Motu Hybrid 896mk3 with Protools at the same time

The Motu is not a mixer it's an audio interface, although it has an internal mixer to allow near zero latency tracking, it's not a mixer as opposed to the x32 desk, that can control pro tools and has I/O also imbedded in the surface. What you need to do is keep the Motu as the playback engine for Pro tools, and set the x32 desk as the peripheric so you can control pro tools from the x32, but use the I/O of the Motu.

Quite frankly I don't know which of the two has the better Inputs and converters so you might as well just use the x32. You won't be able to use both unless you're on a mac and you are able to aggregate the Inputs and Outputs of both hardware.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Use Behringer x32 compact and Motu Hybrid 896mk3 with Protools at the same time

Just to expound a bit on what Emcha_audio said,(since you are running Windows), Pro Tools does not allow for mixing multiple interfaces(which often works on a Mac, where its called an "aggregate" setup). I would do some serious listening testing between the 2 as interfaces to see if you feel either sounds better. Unless the MOTU is the clear winner in sound, I think the X32 is the winner for features. Obviously, if you NEED to run at higher sample rates(88.1 or 96k), then the MOTU wins by default, but probably the vast majority of us work at 48K

BTW, assuming you wanted to use both for the extra IO count, just cascade an S16 rack-mount IO box to the X32 with a cat 5e cable and you will have the same 32 inputs as the full-sized X32. Lastly, I will stick in my 2 cents as I think the X32 is a really well-done product that sounds very good(so I would not be surprised if it compares nicely against the MOTU)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave