Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-21-2000, 09:44 AM

Default latency on hardware inserts

this is probably a worn out topic but is there a way to gage precisely the amount of latency that occurs when using hardware inserts? for plug ins, if you can command click on the volume twice you get the exact number of samples. it's easy (albeit a PITA). but that function doesn't work when using hardware inserts. does anyone have a workaround for this?
Old 10-21-2000, 11:42 AM

Default Re: latency on hardware inserts

It's a known knumber of samples, it's in the front or back (!) of the manual aint it?
Is it 8 or 3 ?
What are you planning to buss out to anyhow?
(just curious)
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-21-2000, 01:10 PM

hi Jules

sometimes I buss out to a hedd (as in 'overheddz' pardon the pun) or distressors, outboard reverb, etc. (eventually a massive passive when I get the $$$). I'll check the manual tonight for hardware latency... sometimes I forget to check the manual first!

what I really want to know is: what's a great outboard eq that can be inserted via DIGITAL i/o? now THAT sounds cool!

thanks

[This message has been edited by vtone (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 10-21-2000, 10:40 PM

Has anyone here ever had the problem of reported plugin delays being off by 2 samples? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'm aware of the 2 samples per insert rule, but I look at the delay count by command clicking the volume indicator of both tracks. This drives me nuts sometimes trying to match delay and sometimes one sample of phasing is hard to hear. I basically play with it until it goes away, but then the values dont match.
Old 10-22-2000, 05:37 AM

DUNNO COREY

Re digital hardware eq's.

mindblowing digital hardwar eq

Z-Sys (.com)
Weiss
TCM5000
Junger

All of it, REAL expencive, cept the Z-Sys which is supposed to be great value...

Jules

I am lucky enough to have a tonn of outboard, just having set up my studio with patch bay n all. I am just about to get round to routing stuff back out and in again, I've heard it's great!, I will just nudge it back. Only thing is on drum tracks I suppose I should get into the habbit of pre nudging the sourse track, so I can just go ahead and print the processesd track and be done with it (and avoid phase ofset trouble while monitoring it)
Jules
www.gearslutz.com