Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 AM

Default help - Old School OS9 PT 5.2 question

Hello from the distant past.

I got one of the dual boot Macs about 4 years ago. I'm running OS9 and PT 5.2. When I first started using it I followed all the advice here and it worked fine. Then about a year in the thing crapped out and I had to wipe the drives clean and reinstall everything. Well, now that I'm trying to finish another record it has begun acting up again. I get all sorts of errors that just say "sorry, you will lose what you are working on" and then i need to reboot. Often when i try to boot up it goes through the process but then it doesn't load any of the screen icons so i just have a blank screen and need to reboot a few times to get the desktop icons to load.

The only thing i use this machine for is protools and iTunes. No internet access.

My questions.

I have to get down to some serious use on this machine in the next two months. What should i do?

1) Wipe it clean and reinstall what i've got.

2) Get the latest stable version of protools, wipe it clean and start working in OSX.

3) Back up my files, throw it in the street and start fresh with another program and computer.

You guys really helped me out 4 years ago. Thanks in advance for any help this time around.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: help - Old School OS9 PT 5.2 question

My dual-boot finally got so old the system hard drive began to get flakey. Sounds like what you're experiencing. I bought a SATA card and new drive(s) and used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the entire old drive to the new one. SATA drives are readily available and are really fast. If the drive is at fault you'll want to do something about it sooner than later.

Going to OSX is something you wouldn't regret at all. The system and compatable Protools versions are seriously better.

MR