Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Annoying High Pitch Whine Inside Comp.. HELP!!

[QUOTE]
So far I have eliminated as being the problem:
the digi002 itself

[royallion]
How did you eliminate the digi002 itself? does it not make the sound when used on another system??
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM

I have the same problem. I just updated my motherboard last week which means that I can basically elliminate other component than the motherboard. My computer that is now making the very annoying high-pitch noise sometimes (see below) that I beleieve is due to the new motherboard. The new motherboard is a ASUS X-Series P4S800-MX SE-UAYZ motherboard. Here are some more details:

Socket 478
SiS 661FX
FSB800
AGP 8X
VGA integrated
Intel Prescott

(I don't think the rest of the features are relevant).

Like what was explained in other posts the amount of noise depends on what activity the computer does. Like other users on this forum I tried to elliminate the cause and eventually I reached the conclusion that it is the CPU itself, or perhaps the bus between the CPU and the memory.

To show this, here is a command that causes the noise to appear:

perl -e '$x=1; $x=sin($x) for 1..100000000'

OS used for testing was: Linux distribution Fedora Core 5, kernel 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 . Whenever the above command is run the computer squeeks. If I stop the command the computer is quiet again. Other commands that makes the CPU busy also makes the computer squeek.

As my new motherboard is under guarantee I will replace it to another motherboard, as I can't stand the noise.

I hope this information helps someone.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:16 PM

I also have the whining noise problem in my laptop, but I'm not going to mess with its innards because its brand new and can still return it if I have to. Anyways, the noise first became apparent when I tried recording a live session with it, hooking up an external mixer to an audigy 2 ZS card that was plugged into the laptop (which is a presario v2000, by the way). The noise on playback was horrendously loud - and mixed with intemittant buzzing and other stuff. After tracing the problem by adding and eliminating hardware and fiddling with settings, I finally found that it was a ground loop problem. The presario, by the way has a three-prong plug. By pulling the plug and switching to battery mode the noise stopped instantly. Did the noise really go away? Yes and no. The noise was completly elimniated from the recording process, but the noise continued, barely audibly, coming from the laptop speakers - while the audigy card was plugged in and engaged. The noise changes tone and pitch in response to scrolling and other curser activity. I removed the in and out cables from the plugged-in audigy card, but this still made no difference. I plugged a second head set directly into the laptop, and the noise then went into the headphones. Then I disengaged and removed the audigy card. The noise from the laptop's speakers stopped instantly. Another way I got rid of the noise while the external sound card was plugged in was with my little WinPatrol friend Scotty. When I double clicked on the doggy icon in the task bar, the noise stopped instantly once scotty became active (and thereafter closing the program window - good dog, that Scotty). Now, can anybody tell me what's really going on here and if I should return my computer for another brand (and, yea, I know a more professional quality sound card is what I should be using - but I don't think that's really the problem, is it)?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Get some balanced cables.

Noise gone.

Here anyways w/MBox 2.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 PM

Yeah balanced cables are always a good idea. Also try turning "Spread Spectrum" on in the bios. Worth a shot anyways. G/L
Old 04-21-2006, 12:11 AM

compared to all other posts in this thread, this might seem like an idiotic idea.. but have you all checked that you are connected to a grounded (or earthed or what it is called in english) wall outlet? and that all of your devices in your recording chain are connected to the same phase? i have had some really annoying sounds from different devices, like soundcards, guitars, amps, that are not connected to grounded outlets..

just a shot in the dark, but still..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 AM

Good advice dmm and Stagefright13. I'll try the balanced cables, but I don't want to tinker with the bios and risk losing my warranty - that's too scary. Anyways, the weird thing is the tiny whining sound is coming out of the laptop speakers like ear tinnitus even while the the external soundcard is plugged in. Like I said, trusty Scotty takes care of it every time, but it keeps coming back when I turn on the computer. Am I going crazy?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 AM

Yep. Been dare done dat with the the power chords, pluggin and unpluggin. But I do think the first noise problem was caused by a ground loop. When two or more devices with three-prong plugs are connected to a common ground (like a power bar) through different paths, a ground loop occurs. By lifting the earth (don't take this literally), that is, removing the ground connection (the third prong)from the computer chord you get rid of the noise. I did that successfully, but it puts my computer and myself at risk of getting fried. Still, this barely audible whining noise continues coming from the laptop speakers whether its plugged or not plugged into the power outlet. This noise is present only while my audigy2 card is plugged into the laptop and has fully commandered the internal soundcard's function (or has it, really). Meanwhile, there is complete "clean" silence coming out of the headphones that are plugged into the Audigy2 card (just as Audigy claims it would do). When I unplug the audigy card from the laptop, the high pitch whine noise from its speakers stop instantly, and only the hiss of the poor internal soundcard is left. To plug or not to plug. That, I guess, is the question. Scotty, beam me up. I'm outa here.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 AM

Hello:

I 'm having serious problems with PT LE 7.1 cs6 on an mbox2, each time the DAE is launched, an annoying background noise like a high pitch sine feeds through...(whether using pro tools, reason, live, melodyne)...

No noise on headphone socket though! which instantly would imply an electrical/hardware issue...

My computer has the following specs, and I've built it trying to comply as much as I could to Digi reccomended components list:

1 x AMD Athlon 64 (ADA3800BVBOX) X2 3800+ Socket 939 Dual Core 2.0ghz 512Kb and 512Kb Cache
1 x ASUS A8N-SLI Premium skt939 nForce4 Gigabit Ethernet Firewire 8channel audio
1 x Gainward 6600GT 128mb Powerpack! Ultra/1960PCX TV-DVI PCI-E
1 x Philips PBDV1628G 16X DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Beige) - OEM
2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module
1 x Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU - Blue
1 x Seagate ST380817AS Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM

The noise is there no matter what...

I've bought a USB PCI card to see if that improved things...nothing
Tried the powered USB hub trick, did'nt work, balanced cables (four different pairs), nothing..

Tried on my other PC (which by the way run for two years perfect with a 001) after installing PT 7.1...same bloody noise....

So took the mbox 2 back to the shop, they've tried it with a G5 and HP xw8200, no noise...

What is going on...are we definetely sure that the Asus a8n sli premium is compatible, or the amd x2 3800...

Would this noise have anything to do with incorrect BIOS settings for the system memory (currently is on auto thus 400 Mhz I should hope but as I do not overclock in order to improve performance, should I set the memory to 333Mhz)....

Also I thought that PT LE 7 runs ok with Hyperthreading (considering I've got enough juice)...Or is it not??

Considering that I've got a true 580 Watts PSU and no much hardware plugged in...Am I overpowering the mobo??

Should I just get a Mac and stop waisting my time?? (the answer is probably yes)

I love Pro Tools I just wish I could use it...

Cheers
Old 04-21-2006, 11:15 AM

i've gotten this as well, but only when i use my laptop connected to my firewire drive. when i use my brother's dell desktop, i don't get it.