Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Mic the monitor

To record the "air" that I would get when recording old school - guitar > amp > cab > mic > board > ProTools, has anyone tried micing their monitor while using their 11 Rack exclusively? I get some great tones out of my 11R but am thinking of micing my Yamaha powered monitor tonite while using some of my favorite rigs. Probably in a thread here somewhere but I just could not find it. Thx
Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Mic the monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgroovy View Post
To record the "air" that I would get when recording old school - guitar > amp > cab > mic > board > ProTools, has anyone tried micing their monitor while using their 11 Rack exclusively? I get some great tones out of my 11R but am thinking of micing my Yamaha powered monitor tonite while using some of my favorite rigs. Probably in a thread here somewhere but I just could not find it. Thx
I suspect micing a full range monitor is not going to do a lot for you, you might have more fun/experimentation space with a real guitar cabinet. But try it and see. You can also try just dialing in some room feel with a good reverb plugin. And the Eleven Rack falls way behind other options like the Axe FX II's ability to add to or customize speaker/cab impulse responses.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 PM

So true about the axe fx, I am trying to avoid the inevitable which is to get the axe and or the Kemper.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Mic'ing your monitors to record sound is a valid technique to add a different layer of sound to your mix. You can do it to guitar sims, drums VI's, synths, anything really, even a full mix and blend in to taste.

Keep in mind though that you are not missing any "air" IMO. The whole chain is modeled with the Eleven Rack. Meaning the sound of a cab pushing "air" (aka sound waves) into a mic is exactly how the modeling process works.

Though adding your own mic to the mix will introduce another layer and give you more control over what is captured since we are limited in mic locations with the Eleven Rack.

One thing you might want to try is using an impulse response for the cab/mic. Something like Redwirez BigBox w/MixIR2 works well and gives you many more mic'ing options.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio