Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

Yeah I will say protools has come a ways with stability, Back in 2002-2006 it was a disaster for me and was the most anal program. It would crash all the time and I never knew when and would curse so much if i put money in a jar i could buy an hd system by now lol.

I would say protools is stable depending on your setup and computer...way better on a mac my god i'm so glad i took that leap years ago. but the only thing i think protools has over logic is WORKFLOW! The editing in protools is awesome compared to logic and setting little bars and guessing instead like in protools really getting up in there. but hey logic is the king of music making and composition and really is worth it imo. If logic can fix the audio editing workflow i would be sold but would always keep protools around for compatibility with other projects. other than that i think too many people support protools and bash logic and vice versa because they have buyers remorse. I have both and have way more options with logic right now even though there might be two things i'm missing from protools. protools le is way behind and protools hd is just too pricey compared to a native system and spending the money on good outboard getting better quality a lot of the times. getting an hd system now is too pricey compared to option A and everyone is waiting for the next big thing. and that's some straight talk for all you wondering if you want logic or not :)
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

Well to my finding since I started using it this is what i found.

All plugins work with 64bit and the new 32 bit bridge accept ezdrummer which won't work in 32 bit or 64 bit. guess this is more a SL thing and i need to get an update for it.

Ram use is awesome and I'm pulling more ram with no lock ups the first time i play the song like i would get sometimes the first run through on the 32 bit version.

believe it or not 32 bit crashed on me a few times and is not stable but 64 bit is working perfect. As far as latency it's about the same for me 5ms at 256 pretty much runs everything for me right now but ram wise way smoother.

so with my results i would say if you plan to run it in 64 bit mostly stable with a few exceptions I listed below. but i can't say the same about running it in 32 bit mode on 9.2 well at least for me. but also keep in mind that you do not have to boot in 64bit mode in Snow Leopard to run 64 bit! Just boot in 32bit normal with snow leopard and click on the Logic icon and go to the info and uncheck the 32 bit box.

Also at a warning some plugs seem to be weird here and there. Logic has done it's part but some plug-ins need updates regardless of the 32 bit bridge. I see "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly while using "insert plug name" a few times already. So maybe I need to update some of my plugs but for the most part I would say there is some work to be done on the users part with updates and plugin support but not on a massive scale as most all do work. Lastly Logic did do it's job now 3rd part plugin companies need to step up and sorry to say but rewire doesn't really work.

Honestly I'll play around with this for another week and I might go back to Logic 9.02 for a bit more stability,imo it's not quit there and as solid as 9.02. I'd run 64bit for huge sessions possibly but my latency is still much the same and i haven't hit over 3.84gb at all yet. Logic version before this is awesome! But this was a nice try but not quite there. worth trying and if you don't like it just go back.
I'll keep updates coming with any huge leaps of performances or downfalls I cross along the way. If you have feedback please post!