Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Default Avids bad solder job discovered

I wrote this email to avid( Or I tired to)

"I RMA'd my xbox mini 3 a little more than a year ago. I got it back and it had some issues but they were minor. ( when the system turns off static goes through the speakers) . Over the course of a year my levels between right and left channels had changed and i got more and more computer noise. Know the Avid warrently was up I choose to investigate myself. I found a god awful solder job . I used to refurbish motherboards LCDs and laptops and this is a terrible job ! I am completely outraged that this is how my 'warranty fix' was handled . Not only did I have to pay shipping but I lost time while I was without an interface. I understand there can be issues and not every time a person is going to do their job 100%, But I think this is need to be corrected. I hope this is handled in a decent manor regardless of the 'warrently being up' because it was not fixed correctly and I was unaware until the problem became unbearable.If my issue is not handled I will never buy another Avid product again. Which I think is entirely understandable. I thought I was getting a trusted name its not the quality of the mbox but the quality of avid to correctly handle a hardware problem that will stop me. I hope I did come off to harsh I am just unbelievably frustrated with this and hope it will be taken care of .

Thank you

Chris gold
Included is a picture of said solder job

http://imgur.com/5fhGQGc"

I'm extremely unhappy with my findings.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Avids bad solder job discovered

Dude!?? That Looks Nasty!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Avid

Exclamation Re: Avids bad solder job discovered

That's not a typical experience, so I've asked CS to contact you directly to figure this one out.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Chris gold
Included is a picture of said solder job

http://imgur.com/5fhGQGc"

I'm extremely unhappy with my findings.
That board needs replacement ASAP.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Looks like a hack repair to me. All this stuff is build on automated wave soldering setups, which should never look like that. Hope you get it sorted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM

I fix laptops, and to me that looks like old water/moisture damage, not good....
Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
I fix laptops, and to me that looks like old water/moisture damage, not good....
Exactly what I was thinking myself. Somehow during the life course of your unit, some rather nasty humidity came into contact with the board and the soldering creating shorts which would result in the burned marks you see on the board. If it was a soldering burn, I highly doubt the board would have worked at all. Are you by any chance from Nova Scotia?.. salin air, high himudity/moisture factor year round... all could contribute to this.

I hope this get's sorted out for you quickly.

on a lighter note.. if it's indeed an xbox mini then that would be a microsoft problem ;

Wave-T.com
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 AM

I tend to think if that was environmental damage nearly all of the connections would be corroded. To me that repairs look localised and overheated. Just guessing but that iron was to cold and had to be held in place way to long or the iron was way to hot or had the wrong tip. What ever the reason is thats not very pretty.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I tend to think if that was environmental damage nearly all of the connections would be corroded. To me that repairs look localised and overheated. Just guessing but that iron was to cold and had to be held in place way to long or the iron was way to hot or had the wrong tip. What ever the reason is thats not very pretty.
Ironically I purchased a used Triton years ago that sometimes when you would turn it on the display would start out a little dimmer than normal then correct itself.

When the unit was eventually opened that very similar to what one of boards looked like.
It looked like it came from a combination of the moisture in the original owners location and how the the unit dissipated heat.

Can be hard to tell what really went on from an image.

I also wonder if maybe it was a service center not actually AVID that repaired the unit?