Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Video problem: Network Clock not locked, but...

Hi All,

So I keep getting video playback issues. I get the message that the video engine reported an error. The log tells me, "Cannot start playback. The network clock is not locked".

Ok. But, I am NOT running Video Satellite, or Satellite Link or anything like that. It is a self contained system. I even pulled the ethernet cable connecting the computer to the internet. So how could the Network Clock effect anything?

PT HDX 11.3.1 OS 10.8.5. Video is DNxHD 36 @23.976. I transcoded it twice. the 2nd time, knocked the quality down to 90%.

I'm stumped. Other than, it is this video. I only have problems with this session, not others. But I transcoded it three times, same result.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Video problem: Network Clock not locked, but...

Hi Tom,

Not sure if this (3 year old) thread >see 6th post from top< might provide a solution, since it seems that this 'bug' is also related to Non Satelite Systems as well
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...=Network+Clock
Old 06-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I actually had seen that, as I did a search. Bob Brown never came back with a solution.

HOWEVER, I did reset playback engine and reset the Disk Playback size. Then the problem seems to have resolved! Because we all know, the Network Clock is related to the H/W buffer.............

Maybe this helps someone else.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM

https://youtu.be/6gxLZid2VR4

This video a lot about the new a Avid Video Engine in Pt 11+. If you skip to the 6 min mark they explain more about what the AVE is. Basically it is based off of of the satellite/video satellite software back end. So essentially the video is running in a separate background app. So it relies on networking protocols (and therefore clocking) the same (or similar) as a satellite system would. So knowing that, it makes sense to see that error, even in a single stand-alone system.

Of course that doesn't help to solve the issue, but glad you found a solution, be it a workaround or simple luck!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM

Hey All,

I had this problem all day yesterday and today. I just bought a new laptop

Asus
Windows 10
I7, 16gb of ram
128 SSD, 1TB 7200 drive
Nvidia GTX960m

I had a heck of a time just installing iLok and Pro Tools. Other issues not related to this thread. If you have errors 1635 on install I can help with that. What is relevant, is that I had the same issue as above listed in the thread. I realized that I didn't have quicktime or an ASIO installed.

Windows 10 does not come with these. When I was looking at the video and a bunch of other threads I stated to put 2+2 together. Basically I am running a rig without an interface at the time. Without an interface the Pro Tools clock could not confirm what is happening with the window default clock rate.

After installing the latest version of quicktime available for windows 7.6
(https://support.apple.com/kb/dl762?locale=en_US)

and installing ASIO4ALL
(http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...s-and-ASIO4ALL)

Quick system restart to verify everything installed correctly.

then setting my hardware to ASIO4ALL everything seemed to work perfectly!

Other notes that I did was make sure to run both Pro Tools and the Avid Video Engine as Administrators.

I can only assume if you have an interface, make sure it has software to talk to Pro Tools and set the clock rate. Make sure to use that interface as your hardware and not the Windows Core Audio, under
Setup
>Hardware

If you do not have the "hardware" option you need an ASIO.

From my past experience, most higher quality interfaces come with the software for an ASIO.
Focusrite
RME
Motu
M-box
Pre Sonus
etc.

Hope this helps!