Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2021, 05:19 AM

Default It was 20 years ago today...

That I joined this forum after getting involved in the second home recording revolution when everything went digital. The first time was 40 years ago when analog became affordable for home use.

What hasn't seemed to change how long I'll have to wait till Pro Tools officially supports the next OS like Big Sir and also M1. Yes it works on M1 but do I want to spend the money and not be able to get support? Having a hard time justifying the subscription as it really has become secondary now that I only record my own stuff.

Poking around the forum after a long absence, it's surprising how little has changed.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Default Re: It was 20 years ago today...

WOW!!!!

Big Congrats on the 20yrs here and we hope for another 20yrs (atleast)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-06-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkcafe View Post
That I joined this forum after getting involved in the second home recording revolution when everything went digital. The first time was 40 years ago when analog became affordable for home use.

What hasn't seemed to change how long I'll have to wait till Pro Tools officially supports the next OS like Big Sir and also M1. Yes it works on M1 but do I want to spend the money and not be able to get support? Having a hard time justifying the subscription as it really has become secondary now that I only record my own stuff.

Poking around the forum after a long absence, it's surprising how little has changed.
Congratulations on 20 years here.
As to subscription maybe you can still snag a reinstatement plan from a third party vendor. With that you'd at least get a year of updates and support and have a permanent license to boot.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Congratulations on 20 years here.
As to subscription maybe you can still snag a reinstatement plan from a third party vendor. With that you'd at least get a year of updates and support and have a permanent license to boot.
Thanks,

I had attempted a reply but one of the things that hasn't changed is how this forum tends to log you out while you are in the middle of typing a response. Perhaps I'll try again later.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:21 AM

20 years and only 33 posts?!?! That's not fair. You actually have a life(unlike some of us)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

I had attempted a reply but one of the things that hasn't changed is how this forum tends to log you out while you are in the middle of typing a response. Perhaps I'll try again later.
There's been a recurring problem where someone goes to send a reply to a post and is told they don't have permission to post. Instead of quoting a post try just responding and see what happens. As to getting logged out in the middle of a post - I've not had that happen - ever.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
There's been a recurring problem where someone goes to send a reply to a post and is told they don't have permission to post. Instead of quoting a post try just responding and see what happens. As to getting logged out in the middle of a post - I've not had that happen - ever.
Probably because I type slow and as a rule, need to check grammar and spelling a lot.

I worked a lot with Pro Tools when I was the operations engineer in a large corporate studio. That was the old nubus mac days. When building workstations back then, you learned to stick with hardware that worked. Only signed up once I got my personal system. Though didn't need a lot other than public info when I built my Digi 001 system. As to reinstatement, don't think that is available for 6.4. Yup, it is old but surprisingly it still works.

I'm a archivist of sorts. Did a lot of this professionally as an operations engineer with everything from 2 inch open reel video tape to 24 track analog from an Otari with Dolby SR. As my handle might suggest, I did a lot of years doing live sound and live recording in the folk realm in my personal life. I adopted digital early and my mixers had Tdif cards and I always packed a DA-38 or two. I've thousands of hours of live recording plus a lot of stuff from my small studio. Even still have a working analog 8 track in the studio.

I popped up here 10 years ago when a local musician had died and I was being asked to pull up some old tracks of his for a tribute. I updated my system then to 6.4 and put together an XP computer from essentially junk I had left over. Sadly again, a good friend and session drummer I've worked with a lot over the years has terminal cancer and I am being asked again to pull some work out. The old system is fine other than I lost all my paid for plugins.

I've got a new Mac Mini but that was purchased for a video editing system along with photography. Got Finalcut and the Adobe creative suite. As to audio, I'm using a cheap interface for now and have demo versions installed that I am trying out. The biggest challenges will be the old live recording as they are long and I only want limited bits from them. Don't really need a lot of features like beat detective with live recordings. Ableton works pretty good for my personal use where I just want to build a quick practice backing track. I like the varible timing feature in Logic on live tracks but don't envision cutting much of this stuff up. Mostly just need good comps and verbs.

What I tried to post earlier was that logging in after a long time away is a bit like going through a time machine. So little has changed including the look of the forum. Was surprised my user name and password worked too. In reading a lot of posts, the dialog around Pro Tools hasn't really changed much. Nor has the wait for the software to catch up with changing OS and hardware. As you might imagine, I able to wait if I do indeed decide to use Pro Tools more regularly. As many of the post here state, First is pretty much a joke and a poor replacement to what was LE. The subcription model probably doesn't offer enough value for my limited use. It's not a knock on Avid though I really think they should ditch First as it really isn't a good first impression for new users. The experience trying out the 4 other software platforms have been far better. I've no issue with Pro Tools catering to the "Pro" as its name indicates but how it makes its introduction to potential users needs some work.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:23 PM

You're going to need as much ram as you can put in that Mini. 16 gig minimum and more would be better. From as far back as you are coming from it looks like you're going to have to purchase a whole new license at full boat price. What I don't know for sure is if you can still get a permanent license or not. As you may have seen Avid is pushing people to go subscription. I don't think you'll need PT Ultimate. Actually PT First is NOT the replacement for PTle; PT non-Ultimate (what some call vanilla) is the lower tier version.

I would suggest getting the demo of PT and try that out before shelling out what could be big bucks. Don't forget you're going to need new up-to-date versions of all your old third party plugins. No more RTAS - it's all aax64 now.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You're going to need as much ram as you can put in that Mini. 16 gig minimum and more would be better. From as far back as you are coming from it looks like you're going to have to purchase a whole new license at full boat price. What I don't know for sure is if you can still get a permanent license or not. As you may have seen Avid is pushing people to go subscription. I don't think you'll need PT Ultimate. Actually PT First is NOT the replacement for PTle; PT non-Ultimate (what some call vanilla) is the lower tier version.

I would suggest getting the demo of PT and try that out before shelling out what could be big bucks. Don't forget you're going to need new up-to-date versions of all your old third party plugins. No more RTAS - it's all aax64 now.
Probably should have specified M1 Mac Mini. Yes I got it maxed out but that only means 16gigs. Handles all the 4k my Sony cameras can dish out. Runs the entire Adobe suite amazingly well under emulation even Premier Pro.

Here is the issue for me. Running primarily Apple software and Adobe which keeps up pretty well with OS changes, I worry that tying myself to Pro Tools would be limiting all the other functions my computer is for. I am not going to keep the computer locked to an old OS just to run it. That leaves a permanent license off the table.

Final Cut and Logic seems to be the two main choices for my circumstances. I am waiting on Ableton 11 before deciding on adding that. Pro Tools was and remains a third choice but one with very hard limits as to options. I get all of that. $350 a year for something I'd use only on a limited basis is an expensive luxury. I've already indicated I've no issue with this, just it would have been nice to have a lite option that falls between First and Vanilla.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Probably should have specified M1 Mac Mini. Yes I got it maxed out but that only means 16gigs. Handles all the 4k my Sony cameras can dish out. Runs the entire Adobe suite amazingly well under emulation even Premier Pro.

Here is the issue for me. Running primarily Apple software and Adobe which keeps up pretty well with OS changes, I worry that tying myself to Pro Tools would be limiting all the other functions my computer is for. I am not going to keep the computer locked to an old OS just to run it. That leaves a permanent license off the table.

Final Cut and Logic seems to be the two main choices for my circumstances. I am waiting on Ableton 11 before deciding on adding that. Pro Tools was and remains a third choice but one with very hard limits as to options. I get all of that. $350 a year for something I'd use only on a limited basis is an expensive luxury. I've already indicated I've no issue with this, just it would have been nice to have a lite option that falls between First and Vanilla.
Ouch. Is there any way you can return that Mini? PT has not yet been okayed for use on them and some people that have tried it have had varying degrees of success. Yes it runs video apps no problem but audio - not so much as pertains to PT. Also there's no reason to have the latest OS on a computer. Remember that those that live on the bleeding edge are doomed to get cut by it.

Should have checked in here first before getting that M1 Mini.

QAPLA!