Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Manual Delay Comp Problem

I'm having a problem with delay compensation. I've setup an analog loop from output to input. I have determined that the recorded track is off by 72 samples. That is, the recorded track is 72 samples later than the source track.

According to what I've read, I should be able to enter a "User Offset" in track view. However, no value I can enter moves the recorded track up. If I put positive values in … 72, 144, etc and re-record, the recorded track never moves up. If I put negative values in, the recorded track ends up moving the wrong way (even later). So it looks like positive values should work, but they aren't.

So how do I get the recorded tracks to align to existing ones? I have Sonar on the same machine, and it has an option for manual sample offset where if I enter +72 and perform the same test, the tracks are sample perfect.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinTaper View Post
I'm having a problem with delay compensation. I've setup an analog loop from output to input. I have determined that the recorded track is off by 72 samples. That is, the recorded track is 72 samples later than the source track.

According to what I've read, I should be able to enter a "User Offset" in track view. However, no value I can enter moves the recorded track up. If I put positive values in … 72, 144, etc and re-record, the recorded track never moves up. If I put negative values in, the recorded track ends up moving the wrong way (even later). So it looks like positive values should work, but they aren't.

So how do I get the recorded tracks to align to existing ones? I have Sonar on the same machine, and it has an option for manual sample offset where if I enter +72 and perform the same test, the tracks are sample perfect.
I think you may be confused as to how delay compensation works.

Delay compensation, manual or otherwise, only moves audio forward and not back. That is to say, if you are compensating for a track being 72 samples late, Pro Tools should move all the other tracks 72 samples later, rather than the one track 72 samples sooner.

Make sense?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

No, I've got it right. You are describing plugin delay comp on playback. I'm talking about input (hardware) delay compensation when recording - specifically, I need compensate by a fixed amount.

It works the same in Cubase and Sonar (and it works in those). Regardless, +72 and -72 should compensate in opposite directions and they do not. Positive numbers do nothing.

Looks like a bug. I guess I can nudge all new tracks into alignment.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 AM

<bump>
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 AM

OK, the help file says ...
Quote:
Pro Tools HD accounts for converter delays when using Automatic Delay Compensation. However, when using non-HD hardware, System Delay only displays internal delay and does not take into account any latency incurred by the analog-to-digital (ADC) or digital-to-analog (DAC) converters in your audio interface.
So, how do I manually enter the the additional latency Pro-Tools cannot measure? I know exactly what that value is. There must be some setting I am missing. No one has encountered this?

FYI, I'm using an RME HDSP-9652 (PCI) with Focusrite pre-amps connected via lightpipe.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Is it the recorded track that is 72 samples behind the rest of the tracks?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM

you will have to manually nudge it by the amount that you need to
Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 AM

alt+H

But really, if ur tracking all new from scratch, it doesn't matter much because everything will still line up.. jus 72 samps from the timeline...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
you will have to manually nudge it by the amount that you need to
Every single time I do an overdub I have to nudge the recorded track?! I thought Pro Tools was professional software?! That's ridiculous. There must be some way to manually account for this.

Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo all can do this without nudging. I don't see how I can be the only person having this issue. Anyone using external DA/AD would have the same problem.

Either I'm looking in the wrong place or everyone with similar setups to mine is hosed.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Use the last tab in the IO setup section to manually enter the desired amount of compensation for a loop that goes out and back. I have done this with a straight cable and found 1.35ms was spot on. Your device may have some latency so you will need to experiment to find the exact amount for the external device.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave