Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Default I think im having a stroke...........

.....or maybe i am shock, i came so close to smashing everything in sight but then a gentle calm washed over me.......

i have been up ALL NITE working on a drum kit in BATTERY, Well after spending hours in SOUNDFORGE editing a whole kit then importing each sample to the BATTERY MATRIX
i even saved the kit every 10 minutes in case the system crashed......i finally got what i needed but had some trouble and needed to
re-open BATTERY......well sure enough my KIT can not be opened, i went to [NI.com] and it has to do w/ "special characters"
of course they don't explain what 'special' means, are we talkin [-] or / or 1-9......i have seen this before w/ PT.

So i think i fixed this by draging all the actual sound files into the BAT- folder.

Then it happens........

PROTOOLS HAS UN-EXPECTANTLY QUIT !

...........really

You guys.....i could cry........what do i need to simply create music ?

Why do i have to 'cross my fingers' and hope it will boot up.....i mean it, i don't know if i can handle the trauma of feeling
inspired one second........and having it all blow up in my face the next.

im not a pro, thank God.....that stress would be fatal........i don't know what to do next, im afraid to boot-up, if it doesn't launch what can be done ?

maybe this is par for the course, but i thought this was one reason i paid extra for a mac.......and im sure it must be something i did.
but its becoming NO FUN real fast. If your gonna reply and jump on me for being a whiner or not reading the manual
please don't, move on to the next post...........this is when i really need some support.

Yea....sure, i can always re-install.....i understand that.........but what the hill makes it act this way........ and it offers no error code
so i have some idea what to do.

Can you help me understand what is happening......what makes it quit ?

Is there anything i can do to avoid this in the future ? Settings etc ?

I could see problems if i had a song w/ 20 audio trax & 20 more MIDI......or i was running multiple apps, but i was in the SET-UP phase of the song recording process.......getting my drum kit ready, and poof........its all over.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DK
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: I think im having a stroke...........

It would be most helpful to get in the habit of using 'Save Session As' to simply make a copy of the session only (not all the other stuff). If you get an error with the latest, you might have a chance with the previously saved version of the session.

Also, in case you haven't, trash those digi databases...
Are you up to the latest service pack (CS) for PTLE?

I know this is a bummer and half. I always have the phrase in mind "Save when you think about it"...
Used it for years. With PTLE I use the "Save-As when you think about it"
You might try importing tracks from the corrupt session into a new session.

I know nothing about Battery, so I can't suggest anything there.

Good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 AM

HI,

first did you allow auto saves with PTLE (in the Preferences) that saved my butt most of the times.
I set the the changes backuped to 50 and the Timer to 5 to 10 miniutes.

besides that I think you should begin learning Yoga and ZEN, no joke it helps!
Take a break often also.

Beause if you use technology it knows exactly WHEN to break to achieve miximum destruction.
Backup your imporant DATA as often as you can.

If you think the Mac is trouble well there are some story from the WIN world.

and last learn to see it this way: every setback in your work is a chance to do it better.

I am not talking BS here, this is DAW survial without becoming a psycho.

as with Battery: try renaming the KIT fil manually and the sample folder accordingly.
Stick to Alphanumeric key "a-z","0-9","-","_". avoid spaces and periods "." and everything else.

regs
Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM

And if you are using Mac OSX, NEVER use "/" (forward slash) in naming anything that can possibly be used by your system as a file name. OSX is a shell around a UNIX kernel, and the forward slash is used by UNIX in such a way that a "/" in a filename will send it off into the weeds.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
... OSX is a shell around a UNIX kernel, ...
You're kidding!!! That means that OSx is the results of the old X-Windows Unix GUI (First GUI attempt with unix). Very interesting indeed
Old 03-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
... OSX is a shell around a UNIX kernel, ...
You're kidding!!! That means that OSx is the results of the old X-Windows Unix GUI (First GUI attempt with unix). Very interesting indeed
NO, OSX UNIX Kernel called Darwin and is build around BSD and Mach-O technology which was invented decades ago for universitary/scientific reasons for maximum network security with multi-user accounts. It was a time when computers where the size of a house and users were connected to the mainframe by remote terminals to run applications on time-sharing basis. UNIX is still the most advanced software architecture there is on this earth.

The OS X candy & brushed steel look however is based on the ideas of Steve Jobs. And is basically JUST ANOTHER GUI for UNIX, as is X-Windows, because of that it is fairly easy to run X-11 apps on OS X, like Open Office or Gimp.

just some cents...

regs
Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: no stroke, but i have lost something......

Boy....i'm sure i lost brain cells on that one.....you know when you get so insainly upset that your eyes twitch
but you don't lash out, the old "stub your toe-ah tie my shoe-hit my head" thing.....all happens at once.

yoga......might be it, but wait...that why i play.....to escape ! enjoy myself......when it becomes no fun is when
i have a coniption.

anyway.....i did walk away afraid to reboot and a day later it did start up......but what do i do if PT simply WILL NOT
launch......that happened a while back and i did have to re-install.....not that big of a deal, but it does interupt flow.

Im useing 6.1.2 on X and am afraid to upgrade both OS & PT........i read so many hassles when folks upgrade that
if something works.....i don't mess w/ it.

I have found its so easy to get lost in the tek stuff and getting.......what......"software envy".....

as soon as i get settled there is something new.........im always in 'setup-mode'......i haven't recorded anything
from my 'inspiration' in years.....that starts w/ a song idea or melody in my head, not a drum sequence that i add too.

man i miss the old 4 trak days......now that was inspired, it wasn't about stuff, i was amazed to add a riff over
drums & bass and that excitment fueled my imagination.....sure i was always searching for the ultimate guitar distotion
and my buddy would obsese about drum sounds.......i don't get inspired by 'drum voices'......but here i am trying to
assemble the ultimate drum kit......you realize that between my Yamaha, old SR-16, and new Battery i must have
a thousand drum voices......add to that the VG-88 guitar synth-mod....hundreds more guitar voices.....VanHalen
composed 10-12 albums w/ just 1 basic signature sound.......i guess the Beatles or Pink Floyd had multiple sounds
and that was an 'engineers'job..........

..so when do we say enough stuff........and create ?

thats my real question to you guys.......it takes me at least 5-10 minutes to get everything ready to create. That
might not sound like much......but imagine if everytime you & yours wanted to 'make love / bump nastys'
you need 10 first.......add to that every thing we do can be manipulated a million way ie :
"baby would you like me to do this way....or how about like this.....oh oh.....heres one........." see my point.

I have lost that 'thing' that originally got me to this place........like you guys, not most people i know have a real music studio in
their house......ok i guess a PC is kinda one, but i have all i need to really create, probably more then the Beatles ever did
and 'i can't get it up'.........sorry baby!

Not to be too personal......but how do you do it ?

To be IN CONTROL of it------ NOT being CONTROLED BY IT ??

i think im just getting old......but im serious, instead of creating, im filling in the blanks.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

DK
Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: no stroke, but i have lost something......

HI,

some suggestions:

get organized,
get focused on what you really need and learn to admit that you DON`T need it.
get clear with what you REALLY strive for.

Learn ZEN and detache yourself from all the uncessary things, worries and trouble.

buy outboard gear before plugs, nothing more frustating than spending hundreds of bucks that just VANISH in the nothingness of the virtual world.

Quote:
thats my real question to you guys.......it takes me at least 5-10 minutes to get everything ready to create. That
might not sound like much......but imagine if everytime you & yours wanted to 'make love / bump nastys'
don´t have sex with machines!

Quote:
I have lost that 'thing' that originally got me to this place.......
get rid of romantic self-deception.

and most important don´t lose your sense of humor.

the magical glow in the dark-sphere has spoken

regs

ps: honestly - I mean it.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 AM

I recommend a drum kit, some mics, mic preamps etc...