Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!

Bump - It's been a while....Anyone else have any goodies?

By the way, thank you to every single person who has contributed to this thread. I don't have the knowledge to add much know, but when I do, I assure you I won't horde my tips and tricks!

Thanks
Chris
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 02-17-2004, 06:51 PM

I haven't been around these parts in awhile and all I see on this thread is a BUMP.

I'm very dissapointed folks.

LOL
Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 PM

stereo tips and tricks

1. using extreme pan setting and vary panning fro different notes ( works well with a bass )

2. seperating wetsignal from dry signal

3. duplicate a mono track or use a stereo track and delay one of the signals ( for l-r signals )

4. to use effects differently ( to make each track more unigue ) on vocals with unique pan settings

5. to sweep repeats

Old 03-03-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Wear a blindfold

On and off while mixing, try this:

Dim the lights, put on a blindfold, get comfortable, sit back and listen. Human way of deactivating brain plugins and giving more cpu to the ears? Perhaps!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Wear a blindfold

I totally agree, having the lights lower is one of the best things I think you can do. I can focus so much better on whatever I am listening to when I don't have my eyes using up all my processor.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 PM

for those of you with dual monitors out there
i will often close out the edit window when doing critical listening to get my client and myself from staring at the waveforms.

this is the best thread in this forum yet...

hard to find and does anybody know how i can pass it along to a friend?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:31 PM

Nice thread...

Here are a few tips I've figured out, maybe useful, maybe not...
When making markers, I always name them for the marker number. For example, atop my session it might look like this: 1countoff, 2intro, 3V1, 4C1, and so on. Then I can always remember which marker is which and navigate to part of the song with period-markernumber-period on the numberpad.

Also, I like to use markers temporarily to fix timing problems. (I don't often use grid mode, but that's just me). Instead, I listen to the music and make a marker where the note should be. Then I have a visual to line things up with.

Mac users... the "eject" key works as the old power key used to. apple-control-eject is restart, cntrl-option-apple-eject is shut down. Apple-option-D is show/hide the stupid, annoying dock in OSX.

Kick drum trick - use a figure 8 mic on the outside of the drum. Be the science guy and measure it, put the mic in the exact middle of the drum. Positive lobe faces the front head, negative lobe faces the batter head. You do get lots of bleed with this, but also lots of low end.

Snare drum- tape a 57 and a 451 (with a pad) together (or a 57 and a small diaphraghm condensor (with a pad!)). Blend to taste, nice and snappy. No need for a bottom snare mic.

Drum mixing.... mult your K and S tracks, treat one "normally" and crush the life out of the other with your favorite compressor.

Regards,

Noah
Head Engineer
Jarvis Studios, NY
Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Here are a few tips I've figured out, maybe useful, maybe not...
When making markers, I always name them for the marker number. For example, atop my session it might look like this: 1countoff, 2intro, 3V1, 4C1, and so on. Then I can always remember which marker is which and navigate to part of the song with period-markernumber-period on the numberpad.

That's a good one. I do something similar. Instead of the marker number I use the bar number (if the song is on or near the grid): 003 intro, 017 v1, 025 c1, etc. It also lets you locate quickly and helps with cutting and pasting bits between sections. You can also tell by the current bar number if you're in the fouth or fifth chorus. Maybe I'll start using both ideas: 1.003 intro, 2.017 v1, 3.025 c1.

sm
Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Is there a way to re-order the Markers?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:09 AM

Great thread, I revisit this thread every now and again to see what's new.
Since I've been in speaker mode lately here's some tips for speaker placement.
For small monitors, use isolation mounts, (those little metal pointy objects) or a least a foam base under the speaker to get the best out of your speaker.
For Sub placement a quick and simple way to find the best spot is to search the room and find the sweet spot where the low freq is at it's loudest. That's usually the best and most effective spot to place the sub. Also, for sub's try placing them on some solid concrete blocks stacked upon each other with a thin strip of dense rubber inbetween the blocks. This gives a solid base to place the speaker, but also helps isolate the sub from the floor.