Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Avid

Default Re: Firewire 410 is a failure

Quote:

Maybe this is something that should be added to the Troubleshooting or Optimization links?

J
I've added this to the General Troubleshooting threads.

It's strange that they're coming with it enabled. I wonder if this is something new - I haven't seen this enabled by default on new machines in our department.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I've added this to the General Troubleshooting threads.

It's strange that they're coming with it enabled. I wonder if this is something new - I haven't seen this enabled by default on new machines in our department.
Thanks!

J
Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You may indeed have hit on something important, JrummerJ. I just changed this preference, and for the first time in many many weeks, playback from an existing 48K PT session has been "normal" the first time the PT program was opened. (My HD continues by itself on the Mac's second FW400 port - although if this FW networking change in Sys Prefs seems to improve behavior, I will definitely try moving the HD back to its original location on the Mac's FW800 port, where it was always connected until I moved it during this troubleshooting process with the FW410 interface.)

Thanks. Will report back again, after working through various reboots and launches of PT sessions to confirm that today's behavior hasn't been merely a fluke.
Have you had any more issues, or did this take care of the problem? Mine has been bulletproof thus far, though I need to open a longer session and work in it for a couple hours to see how stable it is. You may still have errors using fw 400 and 800 at the same time, since they share a bus, this is a known issue. But hopefully this networking thing will clear up some people's problems with the 410.

J
Unfortunately, disabling the FW networking pref (which IS enabled by default, BTW) only reduces the frequency of the bad-clock/no-audio output problems at startup by about 25%. That is, about 3 out of 4 times I boot up the system, I still have to go through the maddening and unpredictable routine of resetting the interface, switching back and forth between digital and internal sync (even though I have no digital signal source connected). So, the encouraging change after I first disabled this preference WAS just a fluke, as it turns out.
I also continue to intermittently get recordings with digital blips in them, mic input 1 (but interestingly, not input 2) will occasionally "brown out" with a level drop and digital noise for few seconds only to be OK the next time I restart recording, and playback in general will have occasional random pops in the analog ouput (which don't appear in bounced files).

These problems persist whether a FW hard drive is connected to the system (G4 dual 1.25, OS 10.4.9) at all, and whether my LaCie 250GB is connected to the FW 800 or 400 port (where it remains, until I complete the troubleshooting process or ditch this unit and install a Digidesign interface with PT-LE, which never gave me any problems on this same CPU). I have no other FW peripherals connected, no additional PCI cards in the computer, no background processes like energy savers, Internet time servers, screen savers, anti-virus scanning, or any of that obvious stuff going on).

With PT-MP 7.3.1 in particular, I have noticed that the wierd bad clock-sync sound and no-audio output problem at startup (which is usually, but not always, accompanied by no activity showing on the level meter of the Master Fader) are SOMEWHAT less frequent if the first PT session I open is 44.1, rather than 48 kHz.

I haven't tried downgrading to the 1.7.4 driver (from 1.8.2, which I have redownloaded/reinstalled twice now), but... can anyone tell me any issues I should be aware of, before trying this?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM

That is a bummer to hear SoundWrangler! Mine has been working very well, which doesn't really make you feel any better I am sure. Could it be something silly like the cable? Maybe you actually have a defective unit? I think at this point I would contact M-Audio and see about getting it serviced or replaced.

J
Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 PM

no its not a bad unit. I had many of the same symptoms, the same digital noise and no audio etc.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
no its not a bad unit. I had many of the same symptoms, the same digital noise and no audio etc.
Sorry to hear that, mine has been rock solid since the last few changes I made, which include disabling firewire networking and moving my usb hub with ilok and M-Audio keyboard to the left side usb port. I wouldn't go so far to say that it definitely isn't a bad unit, anything is possible.

My interface is connected to the fw 800 port with a 800 to 400 Belkin cable (paid for it might as well use it), and then the WD HD is chained through the 410 with a standard 6 pin fw cable. I am using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse with no issues, and it doesn't seem to make a hill of beans whether or not I have wireless on or not. Spotlight, sleep, safe sleep, and Dashboard are all disabled. Running 10.4.11, 1.8.2 M-Audio driver, and 7.3.1 cs5.

J