Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Avid

Default Re: 6101 and 9128 CPU overload errors with 1 track!!!

Quote:
Dear Digi,

where can I find the list of Plug-In versions which are compatible with PTLE and PTMP 7? I searched knowledgebase and stuff, found a few links to http://www.digidesign.com/developers/plugin_info/ which doesn't indicate versions.

BTW: what is LE? Light Edition?
The plug-in info compatibility grid is on this page:

http://www.digidesign.com/developers/plugin_info/grid/

There are no version numbers there, either, but they are referring to the latest version of the plug-in. Just make sure you have the latest version for anything that says 'Yes' and you should be ok. If a plug-in isn't on the list it's because we did not receive info from the manufacturer regarding compatibility, so you may need to check the manufacturers website or contact them to find out if a particular plug-in is compatible or not.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi DigiTechSupt,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just run the following test:

1) Removed all plugins from plugins dir except for Reaktor v5.1.0.010
2) Launched pro tools, created a single midi and audio track and added Reaktor with Carbon 2 ensemble.
3) Started the session playing and changed filter type or other parameters on Reaktor. This produces:

CPU Error -9128

I've been able to reproduce this as well. It's difficult to say if this is a Pro Tools issue or a problem with the Reaktor 5 plug-in, but we'll look into it and report it to NI.
Thanks for looking into this.

Much appreciated
Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Re Org - I have not heard of this. I will try contacting FXPansion for clarification.
Hi Digi, please let me know if you have contacted FXpansion. I would like to know if this can be a (the) solution for some problems.
Here are their explanation :

Skot_fx :
Quote:
Digi 002s and G5 firewire ports don't play nice when another bandwidth hungry application like BFD is added to the mix. Basically, older G5 firewire ports are 2nd rate, and the 002 has a very sensitive, dare I say "needy", driver. Our recommended solution is get yerself a PCIX firewire card and stick the 002 onto that, bypassing the G'5 firewire ports. Once other customers have done that, they have reported that their 002 and BFD perform much more solidly!
Gareth_fx :
Quote:
http://www.g-technology.com/Products/Accessories.cfm

Look at the 2nd item down. This is the card we use in the Dual G5 2.0 at FX HQ.

The problem with the earlier G5 is in the AMD firewire chipset used. It suffers a similiar problem to an AMD chipset used on some PC's as well which affected USB performance. The 2nd issue is that the PCI bus and FIrewire bus on the G5 is shared bandwidth. There are many reports of users with Large multi i/o sound cards like the fireface losing half the cards i/o ability when running external Firewire drives.

The PCI-X bus on the G5 is not shared in the same way.

These cares arent not hugely expensive and I am only offering this one as a suggestion. I know of someone who bought the cheapest card they could find ($30) and has enjoyed great performance since.

One last thing , Texas Instruments (TI) make the actual chipset that I use.

So any TI based card should work well.
What do you think of it ???

Les Tambours du Bronx
RE_ORG
Old 02-09-2006, 05:21 PM

I recently had to do a clean OS install to trouble shoot a problem, well I am back and running again however now I am expierencing the same problem as the rest of you. I have one audio tr4ack with maybe 3 plugins on it and I get the playback errors. Buffer is set to 512, I dont get it. Everything is configured properly as stated by digi. This did not use to happen. Whats the deal. Digidesign needs to address an update to fix this. However I am on 10.4.4 could that be the problem?

My setup:
FW1814 (latest driver)
OSX 10.4.4
PTMP 7cs4
Lacie FW 400 drive for audio
both the FW1814 and Lacie are plugged into a FW PCI card because my G5's internal FW ports stopped working
G5 2ghz, 3gb of ram
energy setting processor highest

thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Now it's my turn. Since installing PT7 on my new computer, I have not been able to use it once successfully.

My computer is a G5 dual 2.0 ghz / 1.5G RAM / OS 10.4.2 / PT 7cs4 / M-Audio firewire 1814 plugged into front of Mac / M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard plugged into rear of Mac/ Lacie external D2 plugged into rear 800 of Mac/ Plug ins are verified o.k. / No wireless / No bluetooth / No airport / No aux. usb or firewire hub / drivers are current for PT7 and 1814 / No virus protection softwre installed

My problem seems to be the same. CPU overload on almost every and any action taken except for starting the PT7 program.
Sometimes I can operate for 2-3 minutes but then the messages start coming again. I have invested many many hours in this and have no more answers or patience to continue.

I get CPU overload message ( -9128 ) when I do the following:
open a session
click playback
click record
import audio
adjust all or any playback engine settings

I have tried the following:
set processor performance to highest level
turned energy savers off
set monitor resolution to recommended setting
deleted prefs according to trblshooting per digidesign
plug in validations, they are verified ok
reinstalled pt7 twice
reinstalled OS 10.4.2 twice
repair permissions done numerous times
adjusted cpu limits for 1 and 2 processors
adjusted playback engine settings in all possible combinations with 1 and 2 processors

I am at a loss and have no means whatsoever to record music for several weeks now.

Can someone please me?

john
Old 02-11-2006, 08:49 AM

john, try not using your lacie with fw 800, pro-tools does not support fw 800 yet.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:09 AM

It's not about FW 800. There are problems with M-Audio FireWire drivers, I get kernel panics sometimes when connecting my FW Solo and Macally drive via FW (400 or 800 - no matter), so I am pretty stable with my external HD connected via USB 2. But even in this case I can cath OS X screen of death - it's definately M-Audio issue, never seen this screen until I bought M-Audio card.

About CPU overload error message: I'm on PTMP7, and I can't say I get this error pretty often, but it definitely comes up when CPU Load (System Usage in PT) indicator shows more than 30% and PT can't even start playback if there's 85% load. The question is why the **** it so capricious, I must see that 9128 message only if CPU Load exceeds 90% at least! Yeah, I'm not a programmer, but I'm a user who bought the program, and I expect it to work stable unless there are free system resources as other applications do. But the fact is that I love this app and I'll just wait for updates like a lamb.

And now the interesting part: though I can deal with my audio needs with this (unfrequent in my case) PT error message, I thought I could try PTMP 6.8r2 just until PTMP 7 is stable. I did clean unistall, even removed all .plists and digidiseign folders left after unistalling, then installed 6.8. And know what? There's absolutely the same situatiuon with 9128 - once I load PT for more than 30% - I get this message. So I thought it's not a ver 7 bug, it's just PT. Or whatsoever it may be. So I'm on 7 again.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:02 PM

It appears that the firewire 800 cable was indeed the culprit. I unhooked it and ran only PT off the Mac HD and everything was just fine. I maxed the cpu out only after creating 10 tracks with 5 plugins each. I then hooked up the La Cie hard drive again using a 400 cable and that seems to be working just fine too.

I will repost if anything changes. I guess I'm back in business.

Aleatoric, Thank you very very much.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: 6101 and 9128 CPU overload errors with 1 track

I just bought the MBOx I can't play anything because "A CPU overload error occured" pops as soon as I click play.

I have only 2 tracks active with 4 plugins.
I have G5 iMac 2.1 GHz. It may not be a lot but come on...

With all plugins gisabled my CPU is at 50%.
In the Activity monitor it is the only program sucking all the juice.
It's just crazy. How can I use it if it stops all the time with 2.1 GHz CPU overload.
If there is no way to fix it I'll try to return it to the store and get something else, although I really start liking pro tools...