Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Default AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnacle Lines!!!

I didn't see this one coming!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...uct-lines.html

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnicle Lines!!!

Yeah that's kinda mind blowing.

Not really sure what to think of it at this point.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Does this mean us?

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Av...nes-Operations

So who's going to listen in on the conference call?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Also buried in some of the news about this is that both Kirk Arnold and Jason Burke will be leaving the company. Not sure what brought this about, but Jason has been there for quite a while, through all the ups and downs.

I think selling the divisions will be good in the long run, as they seemed to have a lot of confusing overlap of products. I think the original idea was to have these entry level products get people interested to move up to the professional products, but they never seemed to get that part right.

On a selfish note, I'm a little concerned about what will happen to support for my M-Audio Axiom Pro. It's a great keyboard with great Protools integration, and since it won't be part of Avid, I don't know what might change with it.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
On a selfish note, I'm a little concerned about what will happen to support for my M-Audio Axiom Pro. It's a great keyboard with great Protools integration, and since it won't be part of Avid, I don't know what might change with it.
See this is my biggest concern. I've been looking into the Axiom line for a while, but will it be a pointless venture in the future? I've been a fan of M-Audio keyboards for a long time. I hope this doesn't have any effect on quality or compatibility.

D

Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 AM

If most of the same people who work for M-Audio are transferred to the new company, then hopefully we'll see the same quality and innovation. The company that's buying this division is the parent company of Akai Professional, Alesis, and Numark DJ, which is an interesting mixture. It could be possible that they actually expand the capabilities of these products to work equally well with all brands, because now they don't have a vested interest to "favor" Protools in terms of features/compatibility.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
If most of the same people who work for M-Audio are transferred to the new company, then hopefully we'll see the same quality and innovation. The company that's buying this division is the parent company of Akai Professional, Alesis, and Numark DJ, which is an interesting mixture. It could be possible that they actually expand the capabilities of these products to work equally well with all brands, because now they don't have a vested interest to "favor" Protools in terms of features/compatibility.
This is true.

It's also kind of interesting that the parent of Akai would buy M-Audio, since they're more or less direct competitors (although I guess you might be able to say the same about Alesis and Numark).

It also speaks volumes as to why we haven't seen a Pro Tools M-Powered version 10.

Either way, this is a very interesting development. Hopefully, it will have a positive effect on the development of our favourite DAW.

D

Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
+1

IIRC Avid had to curtail M-Audio,s efforts, as they surprised everyone with the profire 2626. They ended up competing with their own products.
The Axiom pro is great keyboard with excellent integration.
Hope those guys at M-Audio continue to work their magic.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Actually glad to see this. The M-Audio line seemed to just make AVIDs selection that much more confusing, especially with audio interfaces. I'd rather have a smaller amount of choices of better designed products, than 50 products that are all almost identical in functionality and quality.

That, and with apple seeming to focus less and less on the pro market, it's good to see that someone still gives a $#!^ about making products for those of us that make a living at this.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Also buried in some of the news about this is that ... Kirk Arnold... will be leaving the company.
Thank GOD!!! Kirk Arnold, in my opinion anyway, was a huge factor in the decline of the company. Her specialty is outsourcing. Which Avid has been finding out doesn't work for that well for proprietary software. for standard run of the mill things like banking software, it's fine (Arnold came from Fidelity). But for Professional Audio and Video workstations, it's not so good.

Gary really needs to go too... but at least this is a start. I'm happy to see they are at least saying they are going to focus on their core demographic, which is the "vertical" professional market. With the company in such disarray and even more people getting laid off, I hope they can do that.

But I'm sure, with selling off Maudio and pinnacle and laying off another 350 employees Gary will do something stupid again, like buy another company. Anyone still remember what Avid did after their last round of huge layoffs? Oh yeah, that's right, they used the money they saved in those salaries to buy Euphonix! While integration is better, it really didn't do anything to help the company financially. If it did they wouldn't be selling off Maudio and Pinnacle now!!! I just really hope they don't go out and buy another company after this round of layoffs.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page