Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 AM

Default Studio monitoring/speaker management solution?

Greetings all...

After solely working on a laptop for a while I'm setting my studio back up.
My Control 24 of course has been nullified by Avid, and I'm finding myself at a loss for what to do about studio monitoring.

Right now, I have PT Native running 11x with a 192 box and Genelecs.
I was using Control 24 for all monitoring but with that gone... any good suggestions ?

I'm considering the Slate Raven, but even that requires a large extra purchase to monitor the room.

I'd like something that allows expansion to 5.1 as well. (Which the Control 24 allowed)

Basically I need a volume knob with flexaible outputs that won't color the sound.

Seems so simple, but the options seem very few... and very expensive.

What am I missing?

What are you guys using as your management solution? Any ideas that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Studio monitoring/speaker management solution?

You may want to take a look here.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-of-pro-tools

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 AM

I've sadly sold my Control 24 a year or so back.

I was hoping someone would have come up with a solution but at the time it seemed hopeless.

So now I'm left trying to figure out... do people really spend 3-4K for a studio volume knob?

Maybe so...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Indeed! There is hope for the Control24 and ProControl. But having said that, most pros found the monitoring sections of those to be lass than stellar. I recommend a separate monitor/source controller. Dangerous, Grace and Heritage offer some very good options(with a price to match). at the bottom of this hardware, the Mackie Big Knob and Presonus Monitor Station are solid(but all the connections are directly to the back of the desktop unit). My personal choice is(for more than 10 years running) the Presonus Central Station with remote. All the connections can be done in your rack with a single cable running to the desktop remote.

Some caveats:
#1-if buying used or old stock, make sure you get the later version and NOT the version with the 5-pin xlr power connection(those power supplies are not available as a replacement part)
#2-when the volume knob(remote or main unit) reaches the lowest 15%, the image will shift right. This has happened on at least 5 of these for me, and friends that also use it. Its at a low enough level that its not likely to be an issue(just want you to be aware
#3-the talkback feature can be handy, but the relay tends to get scratchy after a while, so I would not plan on that being a long-term TB solution. I am way happier with a mic to an AUX track(sending to phones mixes) and using sound Radix's free Mute-o-matic plugin

This unit can do some great stuff, especially if you get creative. Example: I use the A/B/C outs for 2 sets of speakers with the subwoofer on C. I have a 3rd set of speakers fed from the CS monitor section(same as main outs, but separate) and I can listen to individual tracks(via a pre-fade send) on the 3rd set of speakers, regardless of solo routing and with or without the main speakers on. This allows easy listening to FX returns or tracks routed thru AUX tracks without dealing with solo-safe or any other crap getting in the way. and yes, I can also hear the main mix on the 3rd set of speakers

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-14-2018, 11:28 AM

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the detailed resposne! Funny you mention that unit, I was getting excited about it but then read mixed reviews. (The bad reviews always throw us off, 100 people can say it's great and the 1 bad one scares us. lol)

The main complaint was that it might not be a totally transparent unit. But, the reviewer was comparing it to the Dangrous unit, and of course... 4x more price may get a clearer stereo field, etc.

I managed fine forever with the Control 24 monitoring and I work in a pro audio bay for a network using Xmon and an Icon for monitoring. 95% of the stuff I mix isn't going to be affected by the difference bewteen those two boxes, I'd suspect.

I'm assuming the newer versions of these have 5.1 out options. I'm going to go back and read more about it. Thanks for your opinion and info!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Ah, shoot... looks like the Central Station won't allow for a 5.1 output option.

Oh well, still appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:08 AM

Hi,

I´ve worked with some of the monitor controllers mentioned, like Grace and Presonus, and also with the C24, D Command etc. monitor sections. A while ago I needed to buy a controller for my home studio. Without too much money to spend but still wanting a good signal path with the least coloration possible (for the price), I opted for Drawmer MC2.1 (stereo only). But they also have a unit designed for monitor setups ranging from 2.1 to 7.1:

https://www.drawmer.com/products/mon...&series=moncon

It´s not the most beautiful of the designs, but you get a lot of really useful features, a clear signal path and the price is reasonable. Hope it helps.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Hi,

I work with a BMC from Bluesky audio. It's discontinued, but they have now another control :
http://abluesky.com/products/audio-m...nt-controller/

I find it very useful and not expensive. Calibration, mute, channel by channel.
edit : just saw that the price isn't that "not expensive"...
Old 09-15-2018, 12:36 PM

I have this one with my Genelec 5.1 setup and I'm really happy with it. Not the cheapest, but I don't want to be buying new gear every now and then...