Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Unhappy Control|24 stuck in "Christmas Tree" Mode

Hi.

My Control|24 won't boot up. When I turn it on, every light and switch lights up and stays that way. The board will not pass audio either. Of course, I am in a session.

If i press a button, all the lights for that section go off as long as I hold the button down.

Is there any special reset key sequence? Any advice would be appreciated.

Digi support is closed today until 1 pm, PST.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Control|24 stuck in "Christmas Tree" Mode

See if this helps...

From the Control|24 Guide > Appendix B: Utility Functions

Quote:
Sys Reset Page
The Sys Reset page allows you to reset Control|24 to the factory default settings.

To reset Control|24:

1 Press the UTILITY switch. The switch LED flashes, indicating that a special mode has been entered.

2 The text label “Util menu” will be displayed in the dual 4-character scribble strip displays in the CHANNEL BAR and the UTILITY menu items are displayed on the channel scribble strips as outlined above.

3 The label “Sys Reset” appears on channel scribble strips 11 & 12. Press the flashing encoder switch below the choice to start the reset process.

4 The label “Sys Reset” will be displayed in the dual 4-character scribble strip in the CHANNEL BAR.

5 Press the flashing encoder switch below the scribble strip showing “Cncl” to cancel out of the sys reset function. Following this action, the menu will be returned one level up.

6 Press the flashing encoder switch below the scribble strip showing “Ok” to reset Control|24 to the default factory settings.

7 Press the flashing encoder switch below the scribble strip showing “Cncl” to cancel out of the sys reset function. Following this action, the menu will be returned one level up.

8 Press the flashing encoder switch below the scribble strip showing “Yes” to reset Control|24 to the default factory settings.

9 Control|24’s settings will be reset, the Sys Reset menu will be exited and the system will be placed in the main UTILITY menu.

You can also press the flashing UTILITY switch to exit the UTILITY mode entirely and revert to the previous Control|24 operating state.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, the utility button is lit up like all the rest. When I press it, all the lights in that section of the board go off, but there is no response. When I release it, all the lights come back on.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Hello Mike, im having the same problem, did you solve the issue?? thank you.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Unhappy Re: Control|24 stuck in "Christmas Tree" Mode

Hi guys. I wondered if anyone resolved this issue. I have exactly the same thing. I was intermittent at first but is all lit up permanently now. I tried the system reset before it went completely but that failed to change anything. Of course I happen to be in the middle of a session too. Am currently using a workaround with the board on so's I can pass sound.
If any possible solutions were reached I'd love to hear them.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I had the same problem too. Here is what I found out after a few experiments.
1) Always turn the Control 24 on first. Then 192 I/O (or what ever else you are using), and lastly turn on your computer to boot up. Should stop the "All Lights Mode Problem".

2) Another thing I found was and is related to the "All Light Mode Problem": Do you have any Faders that lock up and won't respond when you touch them? Or, slowly creep or crawl up by themselves? If so, with the Control 24 turned off, gentle pull the Fader finger caps off of the Fader slider rail exposing the metal slide rail of the Fader that is acting up. Spray the Finger cap off that you removed with some windex (top and bottom) to clean any finger oils or grim off so it will make good contact with your finger's touch. Dry them off very well. Then, take a pocket knife and very, very gentle scrape the metal part of the Fader slider rail top, the top corners, and sides(not the Fader finger cap that you popped off the Fader slide rails) that the Finger caps ride on in order to make good contact with the Fader finger caps. Don't over scrape them, just enough to get them shiney.
Before you put the Fader finger caps back on, use vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and vacuum the fader where you scraped the Fader slide rail to remove any particles and debris that might have fallen down into the fader slide groove. Do not move the fader back and forth until you vacuumed it out well. You don't want to work any grit down into the fader groove. After you are done vacuum and cleaning, put the cleaned fader finger caps back on the Fader slide rail. Boot your system back up and test it to see if it got better and resolved the problem. It worked great for me.
Apparently the Fader slide rails lose contact between the Fader slide rails and the finger caps causing some sort of electrical contact failure in a very micro scale manner. The Control 24 system must be sensitive enough to recognized the mini voltage changes that occur between the Fader slide rails and the Fader finger caps. Go figure.
3) Good luck! Let me know if this worked for you. If does, it is a very simple solution to an annoying problem.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Stein View Post
I had the same problem too. Here is what I found out after a few experiments.
1) Always turn the Control 24 on first. Then 192 I/O (or what ever else you are using), and lastly turn on your computer to boot up. Should stop the "All Lights Mode Problem".

2) Another thing I found was and is related to the "All Light Mode Problem": Do you have any Faders that lock up and won't respond when you touch them? Or, slowly creep or crawl up by themselves? If so, with the Control 24 turned off, gentle pull the Fader finger caps off of the Fader slider rail exposing the metal slide rail of the Fader that is acting up. Spray the Finger cap off that you removed with some windex (top and bottom) to clean any finger oils or grim off so it will make good contact with your finger's touch. Dry them off very well. Then, take a pocket knife and very, very gentle scrape the metal part of the Fader slider rail top, the top corners, and sides(not the Fader finger cap that you popped off the Fader slide rails) that the Finger caps ride on in order to make good contact with the Fader finger caps. Don't over scrape them, just enough to get them shiney.
Before you put the Fader finger caps back on, use vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and vacuum the fader where you scraped the Fader slide rail to remove any particles and debris that might have fallen down into the fader slide groove. Do not move the fader back and forth until you vacuumed it out well. You don't want to work any grit down into the fader groove. After you are done vacuum and cleaning, put the cleaned fader finger caps back on the Fader slide rail. Boot your system back up and test it to see if it got better and resolved the problem. It worked great for me.
Apparently the Fader slide rails lose contact between the Fader slide rails and the finger caps causing some sort of electrical contact failure in a very micro scale manner. The Control 24 system must be sensitive enough to recognized the mini voltage changes that occur between the Fader slide rails and the Fader finger caps. Go figure.
3) Good luck! Let me know if this worked for you. If does, it is a very simple solution to an annoying problem.
i tried all of these things to get the lights to go off i did notice that if i let it sit when i first turn the bord on in the morning it will start to flicker off this mode to its original state then back in to the christmas tree mode could this be a power supply problem
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 PM

This is a common problem that is occurring to a lot of people. Why is it that someone from Technical Support does not chime in on this? There are enough people who are having this problem, which warrants an explanation or a proper fix. I've tried most of the solutions that have been posted, but to no avail. Come on Avid. Can you please give us a proper solution to this problem. How come so many Control 24's are lighting up like Christmas Trees? What can be done to fix it?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM

HI,

The problem is the dc harness! They don't make em anymore, best thing to do is call around to see if any repair center around the us might have one.
I was lucky to find the only left in Canada, now my problem is resolved.

The other thing you can do is find a electrician that can rewire the control for you!!

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangel View Post
HI,

The problem is the dc harness! They don't make em anymore, best thing to do is call around to see if any repair center around the us might have one.
I was lucky to find the only left in Canada, now my problem is resolved.

The other thing you can do is find a electrician that can rewire the control for you!!

Good luck!
Did you replace the DC harness yourself?