Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: 7.3.1cs4 & cs5 Clocking Bug

Any luck with a solution yet Digi?

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Avid

We just did some more testing, this time using a Big Ben, as BGee reports having problems with that.

However, we could not reproduce the problem at all. We tried every combination of loop sync, clock source, etc. we could think of.

Is there anything else that you can think of that might be the 'missing piece' we're looking for?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
We just did some more testing, this time using a Big Ben, as BGee reports having problems with that.

However, we could not reproduce the problem at all. We tried every combination of loop sync, clock source, etc. we could think of.

Is there anything else that you can think of that might be the 'missing piece' we're looking for?
Hello...
I am having the same problem on my personal system as well...
2.3 G5
HD3 PCIe
2 192's
No Sync
7.4 cs1

Clocking from Big Ben into the Word Clock inputs cause a Beach Ball Of Doom... or "Audio Interfaces Timed Out..."
BUT... clocking from Big Ben into the AES card, no problem.
weird...
All our systems at Blackbird have a Sync, but we have no problems using the word clock in on either the Sync or the first 192... (with a Big Ben..)
v
www.blackbirdstudio.com
www.sputniksound.com
www.vancepowell.com
Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Avid

Vancalot -

Can you give me an exact description or diagram of your system - every cable and connection that's involved, as well as a concise description of how you're getting the errors to occur (step by step)?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Good 'ol 11050.... Geez, Digi, you can't figure this one out? First I'd suggest a clean install of your OS. And although there is a bit of irony in suggesting that to you, the tech. support, I do mean it. How many OS "fixes" and "tweaks" are listed throughout the various 20+ PDF's included as "Documentation"? I won't have any sympathy for your inability to reproduce this issue if you are trying it on a machine that has been hacked to hell...

Now, let's get into the good stuff. We have the same problem here. See post #1 in this thread. Same exact thing. We are also a mastering facility. We run almost all of our sessions at 88.2 or 96. Even if this error doesn't appear upon opening or creating a session, it will once the clock input is changed. i.e. Once a session is opened for the first time after launching PT (after the app has quit, regardless of whether the computer has been rebooted, etc), the error might not appear initially, but it will once the clock input is toggled (from whatever it's set to upon the session opening, be it "Internal" or "External Wordclock 88/96" etc) between "Internal" and "External Wordclock..." (error appears on selection of "External"; also, "Sync Source is now valid" doesn't appear once the error has been displayed). Note that we are changing clock sources using the SESSION SETUP window. Solution is to set clock source to external, save session, quit PT, open PT, and open session.

I'd suggest you try the following in order to recreate the error:
-Different clock source and/or cable
-Use a SINGLE 192 Dig. I/O (manufactured in 2007 or later..?)
-Make sure that the only interface/perh'p. is the 192. NO SYNC IO!
-Loop Sync BNC's shouldn't have anything connected, correct? No termination, no cables, nuthin'.

Our setup is listed below. Digi tech. support - if you want more info. from me, PLEASE PLEASE send me an email along with a reply and I'll get back to you in a timely manner, versus what we have now where people just randomly chime in about what a pain in the ass this is, and how we're all dealing with it by making our clients wait. Here goes...

Computer: Apple MacPro w/Intel Xeon Dual-Core 3.0
1GB RAM (2x 512MB DDR2 @667)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT

Digidesign:
ProTools v7.3.1 (maybe this is more specific: 7.3.1f123 -- no CS updates, I believe.)
HD Core PCIe
Assembly#: 915017xxx-00
Assembly Rev: C
S/N: 2A03xxx
Manuf. Date: 24JAN2007
Firmware Rom ver: A
*Note: We always create new sessions and import audio. We do mastering, so the sessions are usually only a single stereo audio track, and the output is always "D1-2".

192 (Digital?) I/O
Flasm Mem: B
Firmware ver: 4.9
I/O Slot 1: 192 A/D
I/O Slot 2: 192 D/A
I/O Slot 3: Super Digital
I/O Slot 4: Empty

Physical Connections:
Digital snake (Digidesign-brand DB25 to AES) for digital I/O
Analog snake (again, Digi-brand) for +4 in's and out's (i.e. 2 snakes for analog)
3' whateverthehell Digi HD cable from "Primary Port" on 192 to HD card
Standard BNC wordclock cable from our Lucid clock distro, which is fed by our Lavry wordclock (the house clock) to the wordclock input of the 192
Std. IEC power (we're 120V here in the U.S.)
That's it. NOTHING else. Please don't assume that we've done something that's written in the manual somewhere...WYSIWYG. See above.

Please, Digi?

Thanks!