Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 8.0.1

Why is Snow Leopard a big deal?

Like some other guy said, Pro Tools LE is working on his Snow Leopard, without any issues.. that he wasn't getting with Leopard already.

There are so many bugs and problems, that the priority shouldn't really be Snow Leopard right now.

Make Pro Tools work good in... Panther, if you want! Please, Digi!
I'll install Panther just to have Pro Tools running stable, I don't care really.

Make your OWN operating system JUST for Pro Tools, that doesn't run anything but Pro Tools. If it makes PT run stable and without issues, I'll buy it and install it.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThursday View Post
Not much of a need to install SL until I get some 64 bit programs.
So THAT said....is PT 64-bit compatible? On the Mac I mean. I guess not huh.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
So THAT said....is PT 64-bit compatible? On the Mac I mean. I guess not huh.
Even Logic9 is still 32bit even though Apple owns both the OS and the Application.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Even Logic9 is still 32bit even though Apple owns both the OS and the Application.
So now we're looking at the worst examples we can, to "forgive" Pro Tools?
What happened to customers demanding the best from private companies?

There is a culture in America (spread throughout the world) nowadays, that demanding better service from companies is apparently "wrong",
because... poor corporations, they're already trying so hard to "create jobs". What happened? Why did the consumers lower their standards so much?

Why didn't you mention all the DAWs out there already supporting 64 bits? Would that be "unfair" to Digidesign?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Who has tried it so far?
I upgraded a little bit ago and I can say yippee for the issue I had with the peripheral selection of PC1600. It no longer crashes PT.

Last week I started a thread ranting about this issue. http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=1 A few months ago the official word from DigiTechSupt was that no more resources would be spent on this matter. http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...04&postcount=9 http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...27&postcount=3
I sent Avid a copy of these posts last week and they responded back to me. They probably had it fixed already and I probably should have been more patient? Well, I'm happy to say it works with my PC1600X now. Long live Legacy controllers. And thanks to DigiTechSupt for their efforts.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBnoGood View Post
So now we're looking at the worst examples we can, to "forgive" Pro Tools?
What happened to customers demanding the best from private companies?

There is a culture in America (spread throughout the world) nowadays, that demanding better service from companies is apparently "wrong",
because... poor corporations, they're already trying so hard to "create jobs". What happened? Why did the consumers lower their standards so much?

Why didn't you mention all the DAWs out there already supporting 64 bits? Would that be "unfair" to Digidesign?
Please... Please... Sell your mbox 2 and go find the 64 bit DAW of your dreams..
Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM

I applaud Digi for getting this update out in a reasonable time fashion.

Being an old cubase user, we were lucky to a X.0.1 update over 6 months after the first and usually very buggy version came out for "All" their software.

So to me, this is great. They are following suite with Apple and releasing a better, smoother, and more stable update...and in the long run, when Digi gets around to updating PT's 8 to run on Snow Leopard it will be fantastic!

So, for those irked that PT's 8 isn't 64bit or SL ready...it could be far more worse. Although, I would love to see both..along with ADC..that will be the day that the forum goes quite for a few days

Unless everyone decides to take time and compliment the effort Digi has reallly been putting in to make LE one of the best DAW's IMHO ever.

Thanks Digi for the new update!, and thanks for putting it out in a reasonable time frame.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM

I've tried out 8.0.1 on a a few big sessions with video, about 40 audio tracks and lots of VI's, including Structure, Xpand!, Reason, Synchronic, Transfuser, Boom, Mini Grand, and Velvet.

Everything is working GREAT and BETTER and FASTER!

First thing I noticed was that the sessions loaded much faster. i.e. 4 seconds instead of 10 seconds.

Next thing I found was Elastic Audio was much faster when first enabling it on an audio track. Also there weren't the annoying clicks and pops I had before on fades on EA tracks.

VI's load faster, especially Structure.
Video played back smoothly with all these tracks going.

I'm sure other people will have some bad problems with the update, but mine has been good so far.
System specs are below.

System 1:
PT 10.3.4, 003 Rack, PreSonus DigMax LT
MacPro Quad Xeon 3.0GHz, 16 gigs RAM, Mac OS 10.7.5 Lion
OWC Mercury Extreme SSD system drive
3 TB WD drives, (a ton of) External drives, yada yada My System is cool too, blah blah
Never had an installation problem, incompatibility issue, crash, bug, slowdown, etc.
www.CornerHouseStudio.com
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 AM

I have purposely tested the new update, and it seems to me that this update is fantastic.
PT8 got much more responsive, certain things happens faster, zooming/scrolling is fantastic.
I'm very happy with it, not experienced any issues yet.
Thanks digi!
TD
Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBnoGood View Post
Why didn't *you* mention them? Is it because the only true 64 bit DAW is Cakewalk Sonar for the PC? Reaper? Sequoia is even 32 bit, and users are still waiting on a multicore patch!

64 bit application does not equal increased audio fidelity. It just means that the app can use more RAM.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com