Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-03-2007, 06:00 AM

Default 7.3.1cs4 & cs5 Clocking Bug

I was hoping that cs5 would fix this problem but unfortunately it's still happening.

I clock my 192 I/O from a Cranesong HEDD via wordclock, I've been doing this for about 4 years without too many problems until 7.3.1.

Ok now here is the bug - if I have a session open that is operating at 96kHz & I close it, physically change the clock on the HEDD to match the new session which is usually 88.2kHz then open the new session Pro Tools loads the session very slowly giving me the spinning beach ball for a few minutes until it finally opens at which point it shows the session as having greyed out channels with no voice assignment at first. If I wait long enough (spinning beach ball) it eventually assigns the voices & seems to be working as usual until you try to do anything like insert a plugin, then it gives the spinning beach ball again for a couple of minutes. It's like everything you try to do takes a really long time. If I close the session or quit Pro Tools at this point it usually 'unexpectedly quits' out with an OS error. I can repeat this bug all day long & it also happens going from an 88.2kHz session to a 96kHz session. I've trashed all the prefs & Digi databases, rebuilt permissions, done a clean install but I still get the same results. Can someone from Digi please test & confirm this & release a fix please?

The only way I've found to work around this is to close the previous (96kHz) session, change the clock on the HEDD to the new sample rate (88.2kHz) & then open the 'Hardware' preference panel & change the sample rate there on all the drop down menus to match the new sample rate before opening the new session. This is really annoying to have to do this each time & I've not had to do this with previous versions of Pro Tools 6.x thru 7.x. very frustrating.

Matt

Dual 2.3GHz G5, 2GB RAM, 2x250GB 7200rpm HDD. HD3 ACCEL, 192 Digital I/O, PT's 7.3.1cs5, OSX 10.4.9

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: 7.3.1cs4 & cs5 Clocking Bug

Anyone else?
Hi, MAtt
I went back to 7.3 after using 7.3.1cs4 for a few days.
Really in doubt with this 7.3.1cs5 .. hum....
I have not seen mentioned if the legacy interface bug was fixed.
Also, Are MAc Proes still complaing to boot up?
Best of luck

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Avid

MattG - I just tested this without a problem using a SyncIO in standalone as my clock source.

Do you possibly have another clock source you could test with, to help narrow down the cause of the problem?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
MattG - I just tested this without a problem using a SyncIO in standalone as my clock source.

Do you possibly have another clock source you could test with, to help narrow down the cause of the problem?
Just tested it through a Lynx L22 card which resides in a separate PC. If I set it as the master clock & feed it's wordclock out to the 192 Digital I/O I get the exact same issues as I was having using the HEDD as the master clock, this was using a different wordclock cable too. Just to make sure it wasn't something weird with my session, I set the 192 digital I/O to internal sync & it happily opened sessions with different sample rates back & forth with no problems. This is only a problem when clocking through wordclock with an external clock set to 'master' & pro tools set as 'slave'.

I often get this message 'A timeout occurred interacting with an audio interface' if I try to change the 'Hardware Set Up' clock source to external 'Wordclock'. This has been happening in earlier versions of Pro Tools for sometime, but can get around it once I re-select the 'Ext. Wordclock Output' to 'Wordclock' it usually syncs up fine again.

But since 7.3.1cs5 I have been getting some new errors like this... "Unable to set the sample rate to the selected value DSI error = -1125". I've even had it say, 'unable to reacquire hardware, please quit other applications & try again or quit' even though I'm not using the digi core audio driver at all. It's like the hardware set up portion of the software isn't reliably communicating sample rate changes effectively to the hardware.

Matt

Something is definitely wacked with these newer releases when it comes to clocking externally & changing sample rates.

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:

Just tested it through a Lynx L22 card which resides in a separate PC. If I set it as the master clock & feed it's wordclock out to the 192 Digital I/O I get the exact same issues as I was having using the HEDD as the master clock, this was using a different wordclock cable too. Just to make sure it wasn't something weird with my session, I set the 192 digital I/O to internal sync & it happily opened sessions with different sample rates back & forth with no problems. This is only a problem when clocking through wordclock with an external clock set to 'master' & pro tools set as 'slave'.

I often get this message 'A timeout occurred interacting with an audio interface' if I try to change the 'Hardware Set Up' clock source to external 'Wordclock'. This has been happening in earlier versions of Pro Tools for sometime, but can get around it once I re-select the 'Ext. Wordclock Output' to 'Wordclock' it usually syncs up fine again.

But since 7.3.1cs5 I have been getting some new errors like this... "Unable to set the sample rate to the selected value DSI error = -1125". I've even had it say, 'unable to reacquire hardware, please quit other applications & try again or quit' even though I'm not using the digi core audio driver at all. It's like the hardware set up portion of the software isn't reliably communicating sample rate changes effectively to the hardware.

Matt

Something is definitely wacked with these newer releases when it comes to clocking externally & changing sample rates.
Matt - Do you have a single 192 IO in your setup, or several of them? If you have more than one, have you verified that loop sync cables are all firmly connected and/or have you tried changing them, just in case there may be a defect in one of them?

I'm going to test this on a couple other systems to see if we can get a repro case...
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Avid

One other thing - does this problem occur when using another clock source (SPDIF, ADAT, AES)? Also, have you tried it at other sample rates?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Matt - Do you have a single 192 IO in your setup, or several of them? If you have more than one, have you verified that loop sync cables are all firmly connected and/or have you tried changing them, just in case there may be a defect in one of them?

I'm going to test this on a couple other systems to see if we can get a repro case...
Just one 192 'Digital' I/O (no onboard converters) Loop Master light is always on.

Matt

Brisbane Australia
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
...I have not seen mentioned if the legacy interface bug was fixed...
What's this talk of a legacy interface bug, this is the first I've heard of it!?!?!?

I'm also have issues with clocking, please see my thread here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...4099%231204057

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread but this might be the symptoms of a common problem.

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM

Make a quick search and you will see a few threads. I myself wrote 2 about it.
Legacy interfaces keep flashing 48k lights in every new day you launch your system.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Good 'ol 11050.... Geez, Digi, you can't figure this one out? First I'd suggest a clean install of your OS. And although there is a bit of irony in suggesting that to you, the tech. support, I do mean it. How many OS "fixes" and "tweaks" are listed throughout the various 20+ PDF's included as "Documentation"? I won't have any sympathy for your inability to reproduce this issue if you are trying it on a machine that has been hacked to hell...

Now, let's get into the good stuff. We have the same problem here. See post #1 in this thread. Same exact thing. We are also a mastering facility. We run almost all of our sessions at 88.2 or 96. Even if this error doesn't appear upon opening or creating a session, it will once the clock input is changed. i.e. Once a session is opened for the first time after launching PT (after the app has quit, regardless of whether the computer has been rebooted, etc), the error might not appear initially, but it will once the clock input is toggled (from whatever it's set to upon the session opening, be it "Internal" or "External Wordclock 88/96" etc) between "Internal" and "External Wordclock..." (error appears on selection of "External"; also, "Sync Source is now valid" doesn't appear once the error has been displayed). Note that we are changing clock sources using the SESSION SETUP window. Solution is to set clock source to external, save session, quit PT, open PT, and open session.

I'd suggest you try the following in order to recreate the error:
-Different clock source and/or cable
-Use a SINGLE 192 Dig. I/O (manufactured in 2007 or later..?)
-Make sure that the only interface/perh'p. is the 192. NO SYNC IO!
-Loop Sync BNC's shouldn't have anything connected, correct? No termination, no cables, nuthin'.

Our setup is listed below. Digi tech. support - if you want more info. from me, PLEASE PLEASE send me an email along with a reply and I'll get back to you in a timely manner, versus what we have now where people just randomly chime in about what a pain in the ass this is, and how we're all dealing with it by making our clients wait. Here goes...

Computer: Apple MacPro w/Intel Xeon Dual-Core 3.0
1GB RAM (2x 512MB DDR2 @667)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT

Digidesign:
ProTools v7.3.1 (maybe this is more specific: 7.3.1f123 -- no CS updates, I believe.)
HD Core PCIe
Assembly#: 915017xxx-00
Assembly Rev: C
S/N: 2A03xxx
Manuf. Date: 24JAN2007
Firmware Rom ver: A
*Note: We always create new sessions and import audio. We do mastering, so the sessions are usually only a single stereo audio track, and the output is always "D1-2".

192 (Digital?) I/O
Flasm Mem: B
Firmware ver: 4.9
I/O Slot 1: 192 A/D
I/O Slot 2: 192 D/A
I/O Slot 3: Super Digital
I/O Slot 4: Empty

Physical Connections:
Digital snake (Digidesign-brand DB25 to AES) for digital I/O
Analog snake (again, Digi-brand) for +4 in's and out's (i.e. 2 snakes for analog)
3' whateverthehell Digi HD cable from "Primary Port" on 192 to HD card
Standard BNC wordclock cable from our Lucid clock distro, which is fed by our Lavry wordclock (the house clock) to the wordclock input of the 192
Std. IEC power (we're 120V here in the U.S.)
That's it. NOTHING else. Please don't assume that we've done something that's written in the manual somewhere...WYSIWYG. See above.

Please, Digi?

Thanks!